Why are Br, Cl, At, and I said to have 3s orbitals?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chem Orbital
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 5K views
Miike012
Messages
1,009
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The question is..
In which of the following atoms is the 3s orbital closet to the nuclues...
Br,Cl,At,I




first off how are those atoms in the 3s orbital? I thought the 3s orbital where Na and Mg?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such things as "atom in 3s orbital".

Every atom HAS a 3s orbital, it is just not always filled.

In this case distance is a function of electrostatic attraction between nucleus and electron.
 
Ok, so in your opinion what is the answer to this question?
 
At over 300 posts you should already know nobody is going to answer the question for you.

What are nucleus charges in each case? Where is the attraction strongest?
 
so the orbital in the At atom is closet to the nucl.