Why are my T1 and T2 values so different if they are both unbiased estimators?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BlueScreenOD
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Estimators
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
BlueScreenOD
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



See attached.

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



I have no issues with part A. I simply took the expected value of T1 and T2 and everything turned out fine. What I'm having issues with is part B.

I have:
T1 = (4 / n) * 1997 - 2 = 0.08075
T2 = (4 / n) * 32 = 0.03334

Why are my answers so different if they are both unbiased estimators? Shouldn't they at least be somewhat close to each other?
 
Attachments
  • q19.7.GIF
    q19.7.GIF
    17.2 KB · Views: 545
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers are correct. The expected value of T1 is θ. However, any observed value of T1 may or may not be close to θ.