Why Are Only 1-2 Drops of Indicator Used in a Titration Experiment?

  • Thread starter Thread starter !Live_4Ever!
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chem Titration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
!Live_4Ever!
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
omg Chem Titration help fast!

Ok so I'm a gr11 student who just had a titration exeriment.. and there are a couple of things that are really screwing me over!

Okay so we used an indicator, Phenolphthalein, more specifically, and when we stopped the titration when it turned light pink.

My question is, why are only 1~2 drops in indicator used?

I thought that it would be because of the indicator itself would also react with the acids and bases...but I just need some clarification here.. Can someone help me out here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You only need that much to make the qualitative assessment; the indicator has a high molar absorptivity.