Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Why are open strings vectors or scalars, or massive?

1. Jan 3, 2017 #1
    In string theory, if we have NN BCs along ##X^i, i = 1, \ldots, n-1##
    and DD BCs along ##X^a, a = n, \ldots, 25## then you get, from ##\alpha^{i,a}_{-1}|0,p\rangle ##, ##n## massless vectors and ##24-n## massless scalars. I understand that for the first excited level, ##M^2=0## and so we have no mass, but what suggests that these are scalars or vectors? In the case where we have two branes separated by a distance ##\delta##, with find ##M^2\propto\delta^2## which, in addition to the vector/scalar nature of the excitations, I don't understand.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2017 #2

haushofer

Science Advisor

Their tensorial nature is determined by the index of the creation operator, no?

4. Jan 4, 2017 #3
    I'm not sure how that would be the case though; the indices on the creation operator are ##i## (or ##a##) and ##-1##. The lower index is the state number (i.e. ##\alpha_{-1}## creates a one particle state) and the upper indicates indicate whether the BCs are NN or DD.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted