Why are some particles more strongly ionising than others?

• Thread starter vertices
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary: To be honest, I'm not sure if I am. how much energy is lost depends of recoil of atom that the particle collides with does it not?thanks glenn."energy loss" of a particle that is scattered is equal to the momentum its transfers to the (heavier) particle it scatters off, DIVIDED by the heavier particle's mass.
vertices
what makes an alpha particle more strongly ionising than an electron? It is simply because of the fact that the alpha particle has a greater (double the) magnitude of charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah I understand it arises from the Bethe-Bloch equation (well specifically, the equation for "range", which does show a mass dependence).

What is I am unclear about is the physical basis for why it is so? That is, why would an electron of the same momentum as an alpha particle be less ionising?

thanks glenn.

vertices said:
yeah I understand it arises from the Bethe-Bloch equation (well specifically, the equation for "range", which does show a mass dependence).

What is I am unclear about is the physical basis for why it is so? That is, why would an electron of the same momentum as an alpha particle be less ionising?

thanks glenn.

It has to do with relativistc effects, and more. But the relativistical effects and that the most promiment scatterer in a material are the atomic electrons - which has the same mass as the incoming electron. And here you can just play with your Newtonian mechanics - linear momentum. Check that an object of mass 8000e , with momentum p, impinging on an obejct of mass 1e - will loose much less energy than a object of mass 1e and momentum p, impinging on an object of mass 1e will do. That was a classical analogy.

thanks glenn.

"check that an object of mass 8000e , with momentum p, impinging on an obejct of mass 1e - will loose much less energy than a object of mass 1e and momentum p, impinging on an object of mass 1e will do. That was a classical analogy."

does that not depend on how much momentum is *transferred* to the gas atoms (by the charged particle). Why would a lighter particle neccessarily *transfer* more momentum than a heavier one?

vertices said:
thanks glenn.

"check that an object of mass 8000e , with momentum p, impinging on an obejct of mass 1e - will loose much less energy than a object of mass 1e and momentum p, impinging on an object of mass 1e will do. That was a classical analogy."

does that not depend on how much momentum is *transferred* to the gas atoms (by the charged particle). Why would a lighter particle neccessarily *transfer* more momentum than a heavier one?

First, are you with me on the classical analogy?

second, have you done scattering theory in QM? Scattering amplitude, momentum transfer, born approximation, and so on?

"First, are you with me on the classical analogy?"

To be honest, I'm not sure if I am. how much energy is lost depends of recoil of atom that the particle collides with does it not?

"second, have you done scattering theory in QM? Scattering amplitude, momentum transfer, born approximation, and so on?"

I'm not sure if I have. I've learned the basics of rutherford scattering. That's why I was saying that the 'energy loss' of a particle that is scattered is equal to the momentum its transfers to the (heavier) particle it scatters off, DIVIDED by the heavier particle's mass.

1. Why do some particles cause more ionization than others?

The amount of ionization caused by a particle depends on its energy and charge. Particles with higher energy and charge will interact more strongly with the atoms they pass through, causing more ionization.

2. How does the type of particle affect its ionizing ability?

The type of particle determines its energy and charge, which in turn affects its ability to ionize. For example, alpha particles have a higher charge and energy than beta particles, making them more ionizing.

3. Why are alpha particles more strongly ionizing than beta particles?

Alpha particles have a higher charge and energy than beta particles. This means they interact more strongly with atoms, causing more ionization as they pass through a material.

4. What factors can affect the ionizing ability of a particle?

Besides energy and charge, other factors such as mass, velocity, and density of a particle can also affect its ability to ionize. Higher mass and velocity can lead to more ionization, while higher density can increase the likelihood of collisions with atoms.

5. How does the ionizing ability of a particle impact its biological effects?

The ionizing ability of a particle is directly related to its biological effects. More strongly ionizing particles can cause more damage to living cells, leading to potential health risks such as radiation sickness or increased risk of cancer.