Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why Aren't There Public Intellectuals From The Field of Natural Sciences?

1. Jul 6, 2011 #1
    Most public intellectuals who are critics of society and speak out about their knowledge often come from the social science realm. Why aren't there any from the hard sciences?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2011 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

You mean like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Dawkins" [Broken]?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Jul 6, 2011 #3

Yeah, he is one.

5. Jul 6, 2011 #4

Ryan_m_b

and the rest I added

6. Jul 6, 2011 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Einstein was a pacifist and strived for more peaceful methods. So he's also one, I think. Grothendieck was a die-hard pacifist too...

7. Jul 6, 2011 #6

Yes, Einstein fits the criteria for an intellectual. What about Buckminster Fuller?

8. Jul 6, 2011 #7

Ryan_m_b

So have we established that the OP is resolved now?

9. Jul 6, 2011 #8

I'm just saying that we need more.

10. Jul 6, 2011 #9

Evo

Why? Just because they work in a certain field doesn't mean their thoughts on things outside of their field have any meaning.

11. Jul 6, 2011 #10
    That's all we need is another Kaku.

12. Jul 6, 2011 #11
    I don't think "public intellectuals" are really important. I mean what's the point?

13. Jul 6, 2011 #12

Ryan_m_b

To allow the public to feel and be involved in the important intellectual fields that are so important for their country. When media individuals, politicians and businesses are debating issues like alternative medicine, creationism in schools etc it's important to have intellectual individuals and groups that can engage the public on these issues and be trusted so that they can make an informed decision.

It's naive to think that the public should or would accept the faceless announcements of people they have never met on issues that haven't been explained.

14. Jul 6, 2011 #13

Evo

The problem is that the general public wouldn't recognize any of these scientists unless they were a "pop" scientist like kaku, and even then, the majority of the public would not recognize him or his name.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook