Why Aren't There Public Intellectuals From The Field of Natural Sciences?

  • Thread starter Thread starter realism877
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Field Natural
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
realism877
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
Most public intellectuals who are critics of society and speak out about their knowledge often come from the social science realm. Why aren't there any from the hard sciences?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Dawkins" ?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
ryan_m_b said:
You mean like Dawkins?


Yeah, he is one.
 
Einstein was a pacifist and strived for more peaceful methods. So he's also one, I think. Grothendieck was a die-hard pacifist too...
 
micromass said:
Einstein was a pacifist and strived for more peaceful methods. So he's also one, I think. Grothendieck was a die-hard pacifist too...


Yes, Einstein fits the criteria for an intellectual. What about Buckminster Fuller?
 
ryan_m_b said:
So have we established that the OP is resolved now?


I'm just saying that we need more.
 
realism877 said:
I'm just saying that we need more.
Why? Just because they work in a certain field doesn't mean their thoughts on things outside of their field have any meaning.
 
I don't think "public intellectuals" are really important. I mean what's the point?
 
kraphysics said:
I don't think "public intellectuals" are really important. I mean what's the point?

To allow the public to feel and be involved in the important intellectual fields that are so important for their country. When media individuals, politicians and businesses are debating issues like alternative medicine, creationism in schools etc it's important to have intellectual individuals and groups that can engage the public on these issues and be trusted so that they can make an informed decision.

It's naive to think that the public should or would accept the faceless announcements of people they have never met on issues that haven't been explained.
 
ryan_m_b said:
To allow the public to feel and be involved in the important intellectual fields that are so important for their country. When media individuals, politicians and businesses are debating issues like alternative medicine, creationism in schools etc it's important to have intellectual individuals and groups that can engage the public on these issues and be trusted so that they can make an informed decision.

It's naive to think that the public should or would accept the faceless announcements of people they have never met on issues that haven't been explained.
The problem is that the general public wouldn't recognize any of these scientists unless they were a "pop" scientist like kaku, and even then, the majority of the public would not recognize him or his name.