Why can't I find this group anywhere online?

http://i.imgur.com/JgpJp03.png

I've done the Cayley table for the group above and can't find it in any of the group encyclopedias online. I can post it too if you want, but I'll tell you this:

It is a non abelian group of order 8 with two generators (a,g) such that a^4=Identity and g^4=identity. Plus, it only has three self inverses (apart from the identity).

No group seems to satisfy this. Anyone knows which group I'm talking about?

Should I post the Cayley table I've done too?

edit:

And here is the Cayley table http://i.imgur.com/VKJr18F.jpg

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
If you do a little searching, you will find that there are two non-Abelian groups of order 8. The dihedral group ##D_4## and the quaternion group. I will let you figure out which one is the correct one.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Also, your Cayley table does not match the Cayley graph. For example, ##b^2 = d## and not the identity.

Hmm. I'm checking that ##b^2=d##. For what its worth, I had already checked ##D_4## and the quaternion group and neither match my table. ##D_4## has 6 self inverses, the quaternion group has ##2## (I'm including the identity here).

Even if ##b^2=d## and my Cayley table is a wrong representation of the diagram, the Cayley table I've shown look quite legit and its making me crazy why I can't find it online.:mad:

By the way, and this might be a dumb question, but how did you figure out ##b^2=d##?

I've figured out ##b^2=d## now. Just for the heck of it, as I said, the Cayley table looks legit so why shouldn't it be online? My opinion is that there is something wrong somewhere with my table. After all, it is a proven fact that there is only a certain quantity of groups of order 8, right?

Last edited:
Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Your Cayley table does not satisfy associativity. For example, ##(ba)g = 1## while ##b(ag) = d##. Therefore, it does not describe the multiplication table of a group.

Likes davidbenari
Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
And yes, there are only five groups (up to isomorphisms) of order 8. They are the Abelian groups ##C_8##, ##C_4\times C_2##, and ##C_2^3## and the non-Abelian groups already mentioned.

Likes davidbenari