1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why can't I find this group anywhere online?

1. Oct 11, 2015 #1
    http://i.imgur.com/JgpJp03.png

I've done the Cayley table for the group above and can't find it in any of the group encyclopedias online. I can post it too if you want, but I'll tell you this:

It is a non abelian group of order 8 with two generators (a,g) such that a^4=Identity and g^4=identity. Plus, it only has three self inverses (apart from the identity).

No group seems to satisfy this. Anyone knows which group I'm talking about?

Should I post the Cayley table I've done too?

edit:

And here is the Cayley table http://i.imgur.com/VKJr18F.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

If you do a little searching, you will find that there are two non-Abelian groups of order 8. The dihedral group ##D_4## and the quaternion group. I will let you figure out which one is the correct one.

4. Oct 11, 2015 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Also, your Cayley table does not match the Cayley graph. For example, ##b^2 = d## and not the identity.

5. Oct 11, 2015 #4
    Hmm. I'm checking that ##b^2=d##. For what its worth, I had already checked ##D_4## and the quaternion group and neither match my table. ##D_4## has 6 self inverses, the quaternion group has ##2## (I'm including the identity here).

Even if ##b^2=d## and my Cayley table is a wrong representation of the diagram, the Cayley table I've shown look quite legit and its making me crazy why I can't find it online.:mad:

By the way, and this might be a dumb question, but how did you figure out ##b^2=d##?

6. Oct 11, 2015 #5
    I've figured out ##b^2=d## now. Just for the heck of it, as I said, the Cayley table looks legit so why shouldn't it be online? My opinion is that there is something wrong somewhere with my table. After all, it is a proven fact that there is only a certain quantity of groups of order 8, right?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  7. Oct 11, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Your Cayley table does not satisfy associativity. For example, ##(ba)g = 1## while ##b(ag) = d##. Therefore, it does not describe the multiplication table of a group.

8. Oct 11, 2015 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

And yes, there are only five groups (up to isomorphisms) of order 8. They are the Abelian groups ##C_8##, ##C_4\times C_2##, and ##C_2^3## and the non-Abelian groups already mentioned.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook