Why Can't I Show the Simple Identity for the Spin-1 Operator in This Paper?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter TriTertButoxy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Identity Operator
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
TriTertButoxy
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
I have a simple technical problem. I'm following a paper [Shore, G. Ann Phys. 137, 262-305 (1981)], and I am unable to show a very simple identity for the non-abelian fluctuation operator (eq 4.37):

[tex]D_\mu\left[-D^2\delta_{\mu\nu}+D_\mu D_\nu-2F_{\mu\nu}\right]\,\phi=-(D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\,\phi[/tex] , (typo fixed)​

where [itex]\phi[/itex] is a test function and [itex](F_{\mu\nu})^{ab}\equiv gf^{abc}F_{\mu\nu}^{c}=[D_\mu,\,D_\nu][/itex], and hence [itex]D_\mu F_{\mu\nu}=D^2D_\nu-D_\mu D_\nu D_\mu[/itex] (color indices suppressed). So far, I have worked on the LHS, and I'm almost there:

[tex]\text{LHS}=(-D_\nu D^2+D^2 D_\nu-2D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi[/itex]<br /> [tex]\phantom{LHS}=(-\underline{D_\mu D_\nu D_\mu}-[D_\nu,\,D_\mu]D_\mu+\underline{D^2D_\nu}-2D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi[/tex]<br /> combine underlined terms using identity stated above<br /> [tex]=(-[D_\nu,\,D_\mu]D_\mu+D_\mu F_{\mu\nu}-2D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi[/tex]<br /> then first term is [itex]-[D_\nu,\,D_\mu]D_\mu=+F_{\mu\nu}D_\mu[/itex], and 2nd and 3rd terms add<br /> [tex]=(F_{\mu\nu}D_\mu-D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi[/tex]<br /> Finally, use product rule in 2nd term: [itex]D_\mu(fg)=(D_\mu f)g+f\partial_\mu g[/itex].<br /> [tex]=F_{\mu\nu}(\partial+A)_\mu\phi-(D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi-F_{\mu\nu}\,\partial_\mu\phi[/tex]<br /> to get<br /> [tex]=F_{\mu\nu} A_\mu \phi-(D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi[/tex].<br /> <br /> This is <i>almost</i> equal to RHS, except for that stupid [itex]A_\mu[/itex] term. How the hell do I get rid of it?!?[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \text{LHS}=(-D_\nu D^2+D^2 D_\nu-2D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi[/tex]

how did you get this from
[tex] D_\mu\left[-D^2\delta_{\mu\nu}+D_\mu D_\nu-2D_\mu F_{\mu\nu}\right][/tex]

??

be careful with that last term in the square bracket, you have in total three mu index... also be carefull with upper and lower index.
 
There's a typo in my post. The identity should read:

[tex]D_\mu\left[-D^2\delta_{\mu\nu}+D_\mu D_\nu-2F_{\mu\nu}\right]\,\phi=-(D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\,\phi[/tex]

otherwise, the dimensions (and indices) don't work.
Also, I'm in Euclidean spacetime, where I don't need to worry about upper and lower indices.
I'm still stuck.
 
Last edited:
[itex][D_\mu,\,D_\nu]=D^2D_\nu-D_\mu D_\nu D_\mu[/itex]

Clearly, this is wrong, do you know why? you have a tensor on the LHS (which should be just [itex]F_{\mu\nu}[/itex]) and vector on the RHS (which is [itex]\D_{\mu}F_{\mu\nu}[/itex]).

regards

sam
 
Last edited:
Whoops! Another typo. The identity should have read
[tex]D_\mu F_{\mu\nu}=D^2D_\nu-D_\mu D_\nu D_\mu[/tex]. I'm fixing this in my original post.
I'm still stuck.
 
If your test function takes values in the lie algebra of the gauge group,i.e., matrix-valued function;[itex]\Phi = \phi^{a}T^{a}[/itex], then

[tex]D_{\mu}\Phi = \partial_{\mu}\Phi + [A_{\mu},\Phi][/tex]

If it is a c-number function, then

[tex]D_{\mu}\Phi = \partial_{\mu}\Phi[/tex]

In both cases, the covariant derivative is distributive;

[tex] D_{\mu}(F_{\mu\nu}\Phi) = (D_{\mu}F_{\mu\nu})\Phi + F_{\mu\nu}D_{\mu}\Phi[/tex]

So, your LHS is equal to [itex]-(D_{\mu}F_{\mu\nu})\Phi[/itex]

regards

sam
 
This is very helpful, but I don't quite understand. Naïvely, I would expect the covariant derivative not to be distributive because the vector potential, [itex]A_\mu[/itex] is not an object that behaves like the derivative.

If my test function were a column vector, shouldn't I have
[tex]D_\mu(F_{\mu\nu}\phi)[/tex]
[tex]=(\partial+A)_\mu(F_{\mu\nu}\phi)[/tex]
[tex]=(\partial_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi+F_{\mu\nu}\partial_\mu\phi+A_\mu F_{\mu\nu}\phi[/tex]
[tex]=(D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi+F_{\mu\nu}\partial_\mu\phi[/tex] <-- (this is wrong: see edit below)

Where did I go wrong in the maths? If you are right, then wouldn't the maths tell me so?

--EDIT--

Never mind! I now realized where I went wrong.
The last step in this post is wrong. I must add and subtract [itex]F_{\mu\nu}A_\mu\phi[/itex], so that
[tex]=(\partial_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi+F_{\mu\nu}\partial_\mu\phi+A_\mu F_{\mu\nu}\phi-F_{\mu\nu}A_\mu\phi+F_{\mu\nu}A_\mu\phi[/tex]
[tex]=(\partial_\mu F_{\mu\nu}+[A_\mu,\,F_{\mu\nu}])\phi+F_{\mu\nu}(\partial_\mu+A_\mu)\phi[/tex]
[tex]=(D_\mu F_{\mu\nu})\phi+F_{\mu\nu}D_\mu\phi[/tex]

So, samalkhaiat is right: the covariant derivative obeys the product rule, and hence the identity in the first post is shown to be true. Case closed.

Thanks, all!
 
Last edited: