Why Darmok is the best Star Trek: TNG episode

  • Thread starter Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Star Star trek
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
Physics news on Phys.org
My favourite is

"The Inner Light"
"...While minutes pass for the rest of the crew, the probe makes Picard experience 40 years of lifetime as Kamin..."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inner_Light_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

followed by

"Remember Me"
Beverly gets caught in a warp bubble.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remember_Me_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

"Computer, what was that noise?"
"Explosive Decompression in forward compartments."
"Cause?"
"Design flaw. Outer bulkheads missing."
"How is that possible?"
"It seems the Enterprise is larger that the known universe."
 
All the episodes of Star Trek the next Generation are excellent. IMO
 
I never really understood how they had a shared cultural history if they needed to already know it to communicate.
 
dlgoff said:
I'm watching what I think is the best episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation:
Darmok: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darmok

A lot of Old Norse, skaldic poems are like this. Translating the literal words is only the first step. They still may seem like jibberish until the "kennings" are better understood.

(I can't read Old Norse. And without a better understanding of kennings, I can't even understand translated Old Norse. [Well, the skaldic stuff anyway.])