Why Did NASA Rename Its Astrophysics Division to Universe?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter marcus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Nasa Section Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
24,752
Reaction score
795
"Universe" section of NASA

http://science.hq.nasa.gov/missions/universe.html

NASA Science Missions Directorate used to have a division they called "Astrophysics". According to Steinn's blog (Dynamics of Cats)
they renamed it the Universe division

http://scienceblogs.com/catdynamics/2007/04/nasa_we_hear_that.php

Steinn also mentions appointment of a new director---Jon Morse
picture and short bio here:
http://heritage.stsci.edu/2006/35/bio/bio_primary.html

The link gives a handy list of current and future "Universe" missions, with brief descriptions.

Personally I like the shift in nuance. I think it accords well with the way NASA missions connect to the public imagination. If you have a look at the Amazon physics bestseller list you'll see a remarkable number of books with the U-word in the title or its synonym cosmos. I also think the new name is more descriptive than the old---it accurately reflects what the listed current projects are investigating and measuring.

Any comments?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think the new Universe division at NASA is a great idea. It accurately reflects the current projects and the public imagination. I think it's great that NASA appointed Jon Morse as the new director - his short bio looks impressive! I'm interested to hear other thoughts on this change and what it means for future missions.