Why Did Pythagoras Have a Phobia of Beans?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gear300
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pythagoras
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
7 replies · 3K views
Gear300
Messages
1,212
Reaction score
10
Why did Pythagoras fear beans? Somebody told me two years ago it was for the same reason he bought only Ukrainian wheat from Whole Foods. Radiation poisoning. Two years since and I still haven't figured what he meant.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Gear300 said:
Somebody told me two years ago it was for the same reason he bought only Ukrainian wheat from Whole Foods.
I didn't even know they HAD Whole Foods back in Pythagoras's day.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vanadium 50 and russ_watters
The warning about fearing certain beans rings a faint bell from studying the classics. Some beans or seeds from the Mediterranean basin where Pythagoras lived appear edible but may contain mild to fatal toxins, such as castor beans that produce ricin.

If memory serves, Pythagoreans had some unusual community rules including diet and permissible consumables.
 
🧐 I see. Thanks for the replies. I have been enlightened.
 
Campfire scene from Blazing Saddles? Just sayin'.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DrClaude and Bystander
Vanadium 50 said:
Campfire scene from Blazing Saddles? Just sayin'.
I remember that one.