Why do British English speakers say maths instead of math?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mu naught
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 5K views


Jimmy Snyder said:
I can't say. Hooters is too expensive for me.

Don't you mean "are", or are you referring to the establishment?

Oh hell, I have to log off now. As a last thought, it always seemed to me that the term "maths" indicated several different branches of mathematics, such as trig, algebra, etc. combined.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Jimmy Snyder said:
Would you say mathematics is beautiful, or mathematics are beautiful?

That's an interesting question. In my experience, mathematics is typically referred to as a single entity, governing all fields/subjects. Since the word can also be used when referring to a single field, it seems that the verb "are" would be permissible in certain cases. I guess its use, in that sense, would be contextually dependent.
 


Dembadon said:
That's an interesting question. In my experience, mathematics is typically referred to as a single entity, governing all fields/subjects. Since the word can also be used when referring to a single field, it seems that the verb "are" would be permissible in certain cases. I guess its use, in that sense, would be contextually dependent.

People only use the word 'are' when trying to justify their usage of the word "maths"
 


I'm English and I use "maths" as short for "mathematics" and "math" as short for "mathematical", for example as in "math symbol", "math notation" or "math font".

(At school, we called it "mathma" anyway).
 


I am going to do math real quick.
I am going to write some maths real quick.

Here is some math I am doing on the subject.
Here are some maths I produced on the subject.

I enjoy learning more about all of mathematics, and I think it is a beautiful subject.

I think of math as more of a verb, to math is the act of producing maths.


For geek speak I like to say "I'm going to math it up in here" or whatnot, or jokingly "thems was some real purdy maths you made thur" in a redneck-y accent.
 


I've been looking at lots of stuff on the Internet tonight. I'm going to go up to my room alone now to math off.