Why do coffee particles stick to a metal spoon in filaments?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 9K views
alexepascual
Messages
371
Reaction score
1
You can try this. Boil water in a cup, and put a teaspoon of instantaneous coffee in it. I have observed that when you do this, most of the time there is some coffee sticking to the spoon after I empty it in the cup. these particles of cofee form filaments like those that are formed by iron filings in a magnetic field. They stick out from the spoon like if they were being repeled.
I have not done this as an experiment but It just happens that I make coffee that way and I usually observe this phenomenon. Now, if this was magnetism, then I would suspect the coffee has been adulterated with some ferromagnetic material. I have not tried doing it with a plastic spoon, which would I guess disprove the magnetic theory if it still happens.
Another explanation would be that the moisture from the hot water somehow allows the particles in the coffee to coalesce in a particular way.
I have lately been too busy to start doing experiments on this, but maybe some of you guys have the time and can tell us your experience and conclussions on this topic. The nice thing is that it is a cheap experiment.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd just like to have some of that instantaneous coffee. Where can I get that? :biggrin:
 
lol about the instantaneous coffee.

Wow...Math is Hard...that's quite the Borg drone...looks a bit like a female version of Hugh (so what would you call her?)

Sorry for the totally off topic post. Then again, so was yours, MIH. :-p
 
cepheid said:
lol about the instantaneous coffee.

Wow...Math is Hard...that's quite the Borg drone...looks a bit like a female version of Hugh (so what would you call her?)

Sorry for the totally off topic post. Then again, so was yours, MIH. :-p
Thanks, cepheid. It's my Halloween costume! Trick or treat! :biggrin:

Yes, I was completely off-topic. However, I am presently sitting here with a cup of instant coffee making observations. I think I have ruined the experiment by adding creamer, nutra-sweet, and by stirring with a plastic spoon.
 
Results were inconclusive. :frown: This probably has something to do with me being extremely bad at chemistry, though. :biggrin:
 
alexepascual said:
these particles of cofee form filaments like those that are formed by iron filings in a magnetic field. They stick out from the spoon like if they were being repeled.

I have not done the experiment or anythign but I was thinking that maybe the particles of coffee form those filaments because of the way you stir the spoon around the cup and might not to be to do with magnetism at all.