Why do dimensions curl up or expand?

The literature has many proposed mechanisms (each of which has its own drawbacks and challenges) but no consensus on which one, if any, is the right one. Some dimensions are thought to curl up or expand because that is what the mathematics of the theory suggests, but it is not clear why some do and others don't. It is also not clear if energy is required to curl up the extra dimensions or not, as the theory is still being developed and refined. In summary, the concept of compactification of extra dimensions in string theory is still a topic of ongoing research and there is no clear answer as to why some dimensions curl up or expand or if energy is required for this process.
Trollfaz
In string theory, the universe can have 9-10 spatial dimensions and the reason why we experience 3 is because those higher dimensions compactify. Under right conditions the extra dimensions can decompactify into the macroscopic dimensions we see. Why do some dimensions curl up or expand? Is energy required to curl up the extra dimensions

Physics news on Phys.org
Trollfaz said:
Why do some dimensions curl up or expand?
Happens when they get wet. Fabric of space and all.

The question seems to presuppose that they have a natural size and something causes them to deviate from it - this "cause" you mention. That's not necessarily true.

• Haha
Likes ohwilleke, DennisN and Cepatiti
Trollfaz said:
Under right conditions the extra dimensions can decompactify into the macroscopic dimensions we see. Why do some dimensions curl up or expand? Is energy required to curl up the extra dimensions
Are you referring to this paper: The fate of four dimensions ? Personally, I didn't know that paper. I didn't check, but does it have a lot of follow-up papers?

Some remarks related to your question:

As far as I know, there is no well-established model in string theory explaining why some dimensions are compact and others not.

Another question to ponder is why these compact dimensions remained small during the cosmic inflation. Here I read something in the past about cosmic strings, which stated that during the inflationary epoch, cosmic strings were wrapped around the compact dimensions, thus preventing them from expanding. Unfortunately, I do not have a reference for this anymore.

Last edited:
Likes ohwilleke
In string theory we compactify by using fluxes of fields. This can already be done in GR with an electromagnetic field. You can compactify one spatial dimension and keep it small by using a flux from the EM-field. But that solution will be unstable.

To me, this flux compactification reeks a bit like fine tuning. And why just 6 dimensions compactified? Nobody knows. People were primarily happy to use the geometry of this 6d spaces to explain features of standard models, and saw the former curse of extra dimensions as a new blessing.

Likes ohwilleke
Some trolling nonsense has been deleted from the thread and the thread is reopened.

Likes malawi_glenn
Trollfaz said:
In string theory, the universe can have 9-10 spatial dimensions and the reason why we experience 3 is because those higher dimensions compactify. Under right conditions the extra dimensions can decompactify into the macroscopic dimensions we see. Why do some dimensions curl up or expand? Is energy required to curl up the extra dimensions
The theory has 9-10 spatial dimensions in the first place to motivate the weakness of gravity relative to the Standard Model forces and to allow for mathematical beauty.

The theory has compactified dimensions because we need them to conform to observation.

Alternately, the theory doesn't use compactified dimensions at all, and instead confines Standard Model forces but not gravity to four dimensional branes. This also has the virtue of providing a dumping ground on branes we don't live on for particles and forces that the theory predicts that aren't seen.

But a theoretical motivation or mechanism for compactification is more of a open problem than it is something that there is an answer at the ready to address.