1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do some many here hate Strang's Calculus book?

1. Aug 18, 2014 #1
    I've seem many admins describe this book as ''bad'' or ''awful'', I don't think that,it's a very good book (and like Strang's other books) developes intuition for the subject,it teaches through examples, and also contains relevant applications,in constrast with Spivak's book which tries to confront the student with the need for rigour ,while the intuition is somewhat secondary ( also very few applications).

Why is it a ''bad'' book? is it as bad as Stewart's book?

P.S :I've really liked the book by Strang Introduction to applied mathematics ,has anyone else read it ?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2014 #2

verty

Homework Helper

I think you said it yourself, it develops intuition, teaching through examples. If you're someone who likes to see a clear explanation or definition, you may think it is a bad book. It doesn't suit me because I need clear explanations to really understand something properly, or I'll need to spend time to think it over and find the explanation, why is this like this, etc. So I can understand why someone might say it is a bad book. I would have trouble learning from it, that's all I can say about that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted