Why Do We Celebrate Bonfire Night on November 5th?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ryan_m_b
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Messages
5,964
Reaction score
727
...the fifth of November,
the gunpowder treason and plot.
I know no reason why the gunpowder treason,
should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes Guy Fawkes it was his intent,
to blow up the King and Parliament.
Three score of barrels hidden below,
poor old England to overthrow...

Have a good bonfire night all! :biggrin:

5mbpmq.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I have always found it strange you celebrate this holiday with fireworks...
 
Ben Niehoff said:
I have always found it strange you celebrate this holiday with fireworks...
Me too, me too lol.
 
I like celebrating it by watching V for Vendetta ^^
 
Zarqon said:
I like celebrating it by watching V for Vendetta ^^
I had high hopes for that film but it wasn't as good as it could have been :frown:
 
Ben Niehoff said:
I have always found it strange you celebrate this holiday with fireworks...
We used to celebrate it by burning effigies of the Pope, but fireworks are a bit more politically correct these days.
 
AlephZero said:
We used to celebrate it by burning effigies of the Pope, but fireworks are a bit more politically correct these days.
The Lewes bonfire council always does it and it's one of the biggest celebrations in the country. I don't think this is a matter of political correctness, more of just changing times.

Also it's not the pope but pope Paul V.
 
Ryan_m_b said:
I had high hopes for that film but it wasn't as good as it could have been :frown:

Well, I've found that too high hopes can be the bane of almost any movie experience. Luckily, I watched it without knowing what to expect (hadn't even seen the comics) and I liked it.