Why does math work? Is it the longest ongoing illusion?

• Thread starter IHazQuestions
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the nature and purpose of mathematics. It is noted that math is unique in its ability to provide absolute proof and its application to the real world is a result of human creation. The conversation also touches on the idea of an "ultimate question" in mathematics and the potential for math to be proven inconsistent. However, it is suggested that research and a clearer understanding of the topic is needed before further discussion.
IHazQuestions
I know 1+1=2, and I know that numbers go from 0-9 and repeat until infinity, but why does this work? Why does it make sense, and why do we have faith in it so much? What I'm getting at is, could mathematics just be waiting to be disapproved, or is math trying to answer the ultimate question?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you mean by "ultimate question". Mathematics is unique amongst the sciences because it is the only one where proof can be absolute. 2+2=4 because it's a logical absolute.

IHazQuestions said:
I know 1+1=2, and I know that numbers go from 0-9 and repeat until infinity, but why does this work? Why does it make sense, and why do we have faith in it so much? What I'm getting at is, could mathematics just be waiting to be disapproved, or is math trying to answer the ultimate question?

This strkes me as philosophy carried to absurdity

Math is internally consistent and that's all it needs to be and all it ever claims to be.

There is no way math can be disproved. (it can only be shown inconsistent).

The thing you're getting at is why math can be applied to the real world. The answer is simple. We made math that way. Math came to existence because of our experience to the real world. It came into existence when cavemen noticed that we can count things. So math applies to the real world because we have made it that way.

I also would like you to expand on the "ultimate question". Of course math can't answer everything. This would be silly to expect. But you can still do a lot with it.

I am aware I was all over the place in my post, when I said the ultimate question I was referring to what Einstein was trying to solve when he died. I suppose the question is some series of equations that only he could comprehend.

Regarding math, I feel that it is waiting to be proven inconsistent, I suppose I would need a break down of why these symbols we call numbers mean, what they mean. I'm off the deep end here, I hope you have some idea of what I'm talking about

This thread is silly. IHazQuestions you should research the topic before posting and make sure you are concise in future.

1. Why does math work?

Math is considered to work because it is based on logical principles and rules that have been developed and tested over centuries. These principles and rules have been found to consistently produce accurate and predictable results, making math a reliable tool for solving problems and understanding the world around us.

2. Is math an illusion?

No, math is not an illusion. It is a fundamental tool used to describe and understand the world and its various phenomena. While some may argue that math is a human construct, its principles and rules are based on objective and logical concepts that exist independently of human perception.

3. How is math used in science?

Math is used in science as a tool for analyzing and interpreting data, making predictions, and formulating theories. It provides a common language and framework for scientists to communicate and collaborate on research, and allows for the development of precise and accurate models and equations to describe natural phenomena.

4. Does math always work?

While math has consistently been found to produce accurate and reliable results, there are instances where it may not perfectly describe real-world situations. This is usually due to the limitations of the mathematical models and equations being used, and can be improved upon with further research and refinement.

5. How does math relate to reality?

Math is closely related to reality in that it is used to describe and understand the physical world. Many natural phenomena can be accurately described and predicted using mathematical equations and principles, showing the strong connection between math and reality.