Fear of Death: A Philosophical Inquiry into Coping with Uncertainty

• Thread starter Lifter0569
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of death and how people cope with its inevitability. The speaker believes that death is the most important question to consider in life and that many people avoid discussing it. They ask the other person if they fear death and share their own experience of being in a near-death situation. The speaker also mentions the idea of life insurance and how it helps them cope with the uncertainty of death. They mention that religion has helped them understand and accept death, but it is a difficult subject to explain. The other person shares their own thoughts on death and how it relates to their fear of losing loved ones and the limited time we have in the universe. They express gratitude for being alive and having the opportunity to experience
scix said:
Dying, Generally hurts.. who want's to get hurt?
Agreed, but the question is about fear of death, not fear of getting hurt.

I do not like the prospect of a painful (either physically or mentally painful) terminal illness, and (if in that position) I guess I would want to take something to help end it all quickly. I would then welcome death as a way to relieve/escape the mental/physical pain.

Thus, I do not fear death, but in a sense you might say that I fear pain.

MF

Physics news on Phys.org
Nomy-the wanderer said:
Do we?

I don't think so, we keep thinking about life, about its meaning, about death and why dying, what's afterwards, death is death, so what's death??
imho, Psi should have said "we are the only species which appreciates it's mortality, which knows that death is inevitable"

MF

Psi 5 said:
Death is the one thing that sets us apart from all other life on this planet, we are the only species that knows what personal death is.
I stand by that statement as is. The closest thing I have seen in another species of understanding what death is is in Elephants. They will go to the bones of family members and fondle them, they know who the bones belong to. This does not mean they understand personal death or realize that they will inevitably die but they do know that a family member is gone and the bones are what's left.

We fear dying because of the pain that may be involved, because of the unknown consequences, because it signals the end that may not have another beginning.

We fear death because it is the unknown, because it may BE the end.

Would you fear death if you knew for a fact that it would be nothing more than falling asleep and then waking up to a new and better world? No, you would look forward to it, not fear it.

Last edited:
Hello all. Please excuse this repeating of my previous post about fearing death, but I really think that the point that I made is extremely relevant and no-one really responded to my point, just about my 'poor' presentation of it.
Now that I have thought a moment, and can perhaps, a bit more intelligently, present this Truth here.
So once again in a nutshell;

There must be thought of death to fear death. One must somehow conceptualize death and then think about it somehow to 'fear' it. One cannot fear something that one cannot conceptualize. Fear of the unknown? One must populate the darkness with phantasms before one can 'rationalize' fear as an appropriate response.

If one were as completely 'in the Moment' as possible in our lives, we would be so Aware of our NOW world, so Conscious, so awed, in such bliss, etc... that we just wouldn't have any time, literally, to 'fantasize' about some potential 'future'. The less of 'you' in the HERE/NOW, the less Aware, the less Conscious, the less spontaneous in interaction, Zen, etc... Then in creep the insane creeps, like fear, hate, love, attachment, delusion, etc... There is literally no room for these mental concepts in the HERE/NOW! HERE is your 'Center', in the HERE/NOW! The further you 'wander' from your 'Center', the more 'eccentric', insane, unhappy, lost, suffering you will become.
Thats why fear sucks! Not death! which is a natural beautiful part of a natural beautiful life...

So, I'll pick 'C', that the 'fear of death' comes from a form of 'mental eccentricity' that can be healed and the 'fear' seems to disappear at the same time.

(for what it's worth...)

Psi 5 said:
We fear death because it is the unknown, because it may BE the end.

Exactly it maybe the end, or maybe not! U donno how ur future is going to be later, u donno if ur still going to be able to dream about what u want to be, what u wnana have...Or enjoy the things u used to...

But we actually donno how is it going to be, we only know that there's something called death...It's worth fearing it.

Or at least when u r living, and dreaming of doing some certain things, or reaching a certain goal, u wouldn't want to die before accomplishing ur mission...Before enjoying a certain feeling.

It's very abstract.

Psi 5 said:
We fear death ... because it may BE the end.
In all honesty, I do not fear death.
And I do not understand why anyone should fear death if they truly believe it is the "end". It's just like falling into a dreamless sleep from which you will never awake. What is there to fear about that?

MF

tis reminds me of when Paul Atreides was getting tested by the bene gesserit reverend mother Gaius helen Mohaim in Dune...

...handle the pain in the box or die a certain death

LITANY AGAINST FEAR

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear - From Frank Herbert's Dune Book Series
© 1965 and 1984 Frank Herbert
Published by Putnam Pub Group

moving finger said:
In all honesty, I do not fear death.
And I do not understand why anyone should fear death if they truly believe it is the "end". It's just like falling into a dreamless sleep from which you will never awake. What is there to fear about that?
MF

Because that is a possible result, I doubt anyone TRULY believes in a particular outcome, deep down everyone has doubts that the end won't be what they like to think they believe it is.

My Take

There are many aspects to the thread author's question.
For those who believe in a paradigm like eternal glorification versus eternal damnation, fear of death would probably depend on what one thought their fate was. Someone who thinks they are "going to Hell" may fear death more because of that viewpoint. Someone who "knows" they are "going to Heaven" might fear death very little, thinking that death is part of the "plan" anyway. Thus, for some people, fear of death is fear of "going to Hell".
The process of death itself can be painless, or extremely painful. Thus, for some, fear of death is fear of extreme pain.
The process of death itself can be instantaneous, or extremely slow. Thus, for some, fear of death is fear of being aware (or being unaware) that one is dying. Going further, some people have selfless reasons for wanting to be alive, such as raising their children. Other people have selfish reasons for wanting to be alive, such as partying more. In these cases, fear of death is fear of not having accomplished enough in life. Being aware of one's own death process can be a peaceful experience, or a period of ultimate regret and sorrow. However, for some people, death occurs without their knowledge - either because it is an instantaneous surprise, or their state of consciousness prevents awareness. Some people want to "see death coming", perhaps so they can experience the whole "life flash before the eyes" thing. Others merely want to avoid being figuratively dead before they are physically dead.

Psi 5 said:
Because that is a possible result, I doubt anyone TRULY believes in a particular outcome, deep down everyone has doubts that the end won't be what they like to think they believe it is.
One could argue that "deep down" we all doubt everything, even that solipsism is false. But one must have the courage of one's convictions - otherwise we would all take Pascal's wager, wouldn't we?
MF

moving finger said:
One could argue that "deep down" we all doubt everything, even that solipsism is false. But one must have the courage of one's convictions - otherwise we would all take Pascal's wager, wouldn't we?
MF
It is intellectually healthy to doubt everything.
What is "the courage of one's convictions"? To stand by some 'dearly held belief' despite data and experience and evidence that that belief is in error? Is that not what a 'conviction' is? I dunno, it still sounds like the kind of 'convict-ion' that makes 'convicts'! I don't think that there IS another flavor.
And 'convict' or not, no thinking person takes Pascals wager seriously as it is deeply flawed and unworthy of repetition as anything other than an example of fallacious thinking. See http://www.update.uu.se/~fbendz/nogod/pascal.htm" for a thorough refutation of his fallacious 'wager'.

Last edited by a moderator:
nameless said:
It is intellectually healthy to doubt everything.
Nevertheless it is not healthy to remain in doubt about everything for the rest of our lives (try doing that without being a hypocrite).
nameless said:
What is "the courage of one's convictions"? To stand by some 'dearly held belief' despite data and experience and evidence that that belief is in error? Is that not what a 'conviction' is?
Not necessarily. Where is the "data and experience" which shows theism is in error?
nameless said:
See http://www.update.uu.se/~fbendz/nogod/pascal.htm" for a thorough refutation of his fallacious 'wager'.
Thanks for the link to the so-called refutation of Pascal's wager - but I believe I can argue against each one of the points given there.
:smile:
MF

Last edited by a moderator:
moving finger said:
Nevertheless it is not healthy to remain in doubt about everything for the rest of our lives (try doing that without being a hypocrite).
Doubt fertilizes the soil in which understanding and wisdom grow. Surety is intellectual death and stagnation (fossilization). I doubt and am not a hypocrite. Is this a trick question? When doubt leaves, fanaticism, fundamnentalism, zealotry, arrogance and fascism, etc... are the weeds that begin to grow, along with 'beliefs and faith' and 'convictions', instead of critical thought and current hypotheses...

Not necessarily. Where is the "data and experience" which shows theism is in error?
Really?? Please show me any data or evidence for the existence of a god? With no data or evidence, theism IS error, intellectual error anyway. Perhaps not emotional error, but that is something else. As far as I am concerned, accepting a hypothesis, such as a god, with no evidence whatsoever, to the point of 'belief' and 'faith' is emotionally needy pathology, not intelligence. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the link to the so-called refutation of Pascal's wager - but I believe I can argue against each one of the points given there.
You can argue all you like, but the refutations that I have noted are rather definitive as far as I can see. When he says that there is a lack of a third option, how do you argue that? It is a fact. Go "nanananaananananananana I can't hear you" and move on from there? The fallacies are clearly enumerated. But feel free to write your own refutation of the refutation. I'll be happy to read it. Perhaps you'll alter my perspective...

nameless said:
I doubt and am not a hypocrite.
I never said that you were a hypocrite. We all doubt to some extent. What I said was “it is not healthy to remain in doubt about everything for the rest of our lives (try doing that without being a hypocrite)”.
Are you suggesting that you doubt everything and will continue to doubt everything for the rest of your life? I doubt that. :biggrin:
nameless said:
Really?? Please show me any data or evidence for the existence of a god?
With respect, science proceeds on the basis of falsification of hypotheses (read Popper). "the existence of God" is such an hypothesis, however it is NOT a falsifiable hypothesis, which strictly speaking makes it an unscientific hypothesis.
It is well understood in science that no hypothesis can ever be proven, all we can ever hope to do via experimentation is to find data which either support or falsify the hypothesis. To my knowledge, there is no data which falsifies the hypothesis of the existence of God, and (because of the way God is defined) I doubt whether it will ever be possible to falsify this hypothesis – hence it is unfalsifiable – hence unscientific.
nameless said:
With no data or evidence, theism IS error, intellectual error anyway.
…….. accepting a hypothesis, such as a god, with no evidence whatsoever, to the point of 'belief' and 'faith' is emotionally needy pathology, not intelligence.
With respect, you are simply displaying your ignorance of accepted scientific method here (see above). An unfalsifiable hypothesis such as “the existence of God” is unscientific, but you are wrong in your conception that science proceeds only by confirming hypotheses – it does not – it proceeds mainly by falsifying hypotheses.
nameless said:
You can argue all you like, but the refutations that I have noted are rather definitive as far as I can see.
At the top of this post you claim “I doubt”
I’m glad to see that you keep an open mind and that you indeed “doubt” the refutations – or is this hypocrisy? :rofl:
nameless said:
When he says that there is a lack of a third option, how do you argue that?
It is a fact.
Oh, is it a fact indeed? What happened to your “doubt” all of a sudden? :biggrin:
You and the author of that article are looking at the question from a purely “Christian-centric” view. Christianity, Catholicism, Islam, Hinduism, etc are all earthly religions and in their human-interpreted forms they are indeed incompatible. However it may be the case that the true God transcends all of these homocentric religions, therefore the question boils down simply to a choice : Either the true God exists or does not exist – either believe in the true God or do not. No third way. Simple as that. Why need there be a third option?
nameless said:
Go "nanananaananananananana I can't hear you" and move on from there?
I hope you will understand if I say that this rather infantile comment is not worthy of reply. :yuck:
With respect
MF

moving finger said:
I never said that you were a hypocrite. We all doubt to some extent. What I said was “it is not healthy to remain in doubt about everything for the rest of our lives (try doing that without being a hypocrite)”.
Are you suggesting that you doubt everything and will continue to doubt everything for the rest of your life? I doubt that.
Yes. I have learned that the quickest way to be 'shown the light' is to firmly think that you absolutely know something. There is and will always be an element of doubt (for me, of course) about everything. Even this. It is the only wise position to take. It is the only position if I wish to continue to 'evolve' intellectually and in understanding. Otherwise, from surety, we have fanaticism, etc... and the horrors that come with that kind of mindset. You certainly don't need me to enumerate on that?! Yes, and the only 'healthy' position to take is one of doubt of everything.

With respect, science proceeds on the basis of falsification of hypotheses (read Popper). "the existence of God" is such an hypothesis, however it is NOT a falsifiable hypothesis, which strictly speaking makes it an unscientific hypothesis.
With respect, a hypothesis requires supporting evidence to be taken seriously. Large 'claims' require large 'evidence'. The onus is on the one making the outrageous claim to provide outstanding evidence. (read Masterson, Williams, et al.) You can't possibly think that the onus would be on me to 'disprove' a claim of flying elephants? I could certainly examine your 'evidence' critically, though. Got evidence?

It is well understood in science that no hypothesis can ever be proven, all we can ever hope to do via experimentation is to find data which either support or falsify the hypothesis. To my knowledge, there is no data which falsifies the hypothesis of the existence of God, and (because of the way God is defined) I doubt whether it will ever be possible to falsify this hypothesis – hence it is unfalsifiable – hence unscientific.
It is irrelevant to me how 'scientific' the claim is, if no 'evidence' is produced along with the claim, intelligence dictates that it not be taken seriously, unworthy of refutation.

An unfalsifiable hypothesis such as “the existence of God” is unscientific, but you are wrong in your conception that science proceeds only by confirming hypotheses – it does not – it proceeds mainly by falsifying hypotheses.
This is grade school stuff. I'm not, nor have I ever said (produce quote, please) anything like 'science proceeds only by confirming hypotheses'. I'm well aware how science works. I'm really curious where you see me saying anything like this. Can you not refute something real (since you appear to be in a 'refutation' mode), instead of putting incorrect words in my mouth and pointing at 'my' error??

Originally Posted by nameless
You can argue all you like, but the refutations that I have noted are rather definitive as far as I can see.

At the top of this post you claim “I doubt”
I’m glad to see that you keep an open mind and that you indeed “doubt” the refutations – or is this hypocrisy?
Are we playing some kind of word game here? Do you have a point?
I 'doubt' the logical refutation that I have read by perhaps 3.7%. I 'doubt' your ability to refute the refutation by maybe 98.3%. No hypocrisy here.
Is this all going to be personal attack or did you have a valid point you wanted to discuss?

Originally Posted by nameless
When he says that there is a lack of a third option, how do you argue that?
It is a fact.

Oh, is it a fact indeed? What happened to your “doubt” all of a sudden?
You and the author of that article are looking at the question from a purely “Christian-centric” view.
Sorry. Incorrect. I look at NOTHING from a Xtian POV! I am not a Xtian.

However it may be the case that the true God transcends all of these homocentric religions, therefore the question boils down simply to a choice : Either the true God exists or does not exist – either believe in the true God or do not. No third way. Simple as that. Why need there be a third option?
How is it that you go from "it may be the case", to "Either the true God exists or does not exist – either believe in the true God or do not. No third way." in one breath. There 'needs' to be third options because ther ARE further options, and deliberately ignoring them to 'prove' a hypothesis is error, and downright dishonest. Shall I enumerate further options? I think that the author was rather thorough in his multitudinous logical critique of 'Pascal's Wager'. If you have something of substance, evidence of your posited 'god', any real objections to his critique, come ahead and enlighten me. But let's not waste time with word games and 'personalities'?!

Besides, I think that we have wandered rather far afield from the original topic.

moving finger said:
I hope you will understand if I say that this rather infantile comment is not worthy of reply.
True. Apologies. I've been dealing with too many kids lately.. I could have worded that better.
<sheepish grin>
The underlying point does, nevertheless, remain.
*__-

moving finger said:
Are you suggesting that you doubt everything and will continue to doubt everything for the rest of your life? I doubt that.
nameless said:
Yes. I have learned that the quickest way to be 'shown the light' is to firmly think that you absolutely know something. There is and will always be an element of doubt (for me, of course) about everything.
………..Yes, and the only 'healthy' position to take is one of doubt of everything.
With respect, I dispute that you genuinely “doubt everything”.
For example, you do not seem to doubt the arguments put forward by the author of the website that you referred to regarding Pascal’s Wager. In your own words : “It is a fact.”
With respect, if this is not hypocrisy (ie claiming to doubt everything, yet also claiming that something is “a fact”), then what is?
nameless said:
a hypothesis requires supporting evidence to be taken seriously. Large 'claims' require large 'evidence'.
Hypotheses are put forward to explain experimental or experiential observations. Call this “evidence” if you wish, but at the end of the day all we have is experimental and experiential observations. The hypothesis “God exists” is just as good an hypothesis to explain our experimental and experiential observations as any other (except that it is not falsifiable, which makes it unscientific)
nameless said:
You can't possibly think that the onus would be on me to 'disprove' a claim of flying elephants?
If an hypothesis of “flying elephants” fits all of the known experimental and experiential observations then yes, in fact, the onus would then be on you (or someone else) to falsify this hypothesis. This is exactly how science proceeds.
nameless said:
I could certainly examine your 'evidence' critically, though. Got evidence?
Let’s start with “all of existence”. Everything in existence is compatible with, and nothing in existence is incompatible with, the hypothesis of the existence of God.
moving finger said:
nameless said:
It is irrelevant to me how 'scientific' the claim is
I see. Perhaps (with respect) this says a lot about your philosophy?
nameless said:
……if no 'evidence' is produced along with the claim, intelligence dictates that it not be taken seriously, unworthy of refutation.
Scientific method dictates that any and all falsifiable hypotheses which are consistent with experimental and experiential observations be taken seriously, and the purpose of further experiment is then to try and falsify the hypothesis. This is how science proceeds – if you think differently that is fine, but nevertheless your philosophy would be by definition unscientific.
moving finger said:
An unfalsifiable hypothesis such as “the existence of God” is unscientific, but you are wrong in your conception that science proceeds only by confirming hypotheses – it does not – it proceeds mainly by falsifying hypotheses.
nameless said:
This is grade school stuff.
Yes, hence I assume you are familiar with it.
nameless said:
I'm not, nor have I ever said (produce quote, please) anything like 'science proceeds only by confirming hypotheses'.
You ask, so I reply :
nameless said:
With no data or evidence, theism IS error
nameless said:
Can you not refute something real (since you appear to be in a 'refutation' mode), instead of putting incorrect words in my mouth and pointing at 'my' error??
Am I in refutation mode? I am simply replying rationally to your own accusations.
I suggest we stop this silly game of “I said, you said”, it is not worthy of intelligent agents.
nameless said:
I 'doubt' the logical refutation that I have read by perhaps 3.7%.
I see. Thus claiming “it is a fact” does not actually mean “it is a fact”, rather it means “it might be a fact”. Thank you.
nameless said:
Is this all going to be personal attack or did you have a valid point you wanted to discuss?
Nothing personal here, I assure you. All of my arguments have been from a logical and rational perspective. If you wish to interpret rational arguments as a personal attack then that is (with respect) not my problem.
nameless said:
I look at NOTHING from a Xtian POV! I am not a Xtian.
I never said you were a Xtian. Neither am I a theist. But I do not need to be an atheist in order to view an argument from an atheistic point of view. Perhaps (with respect) if one could learn to view arguments from others’ points of view it might help one to understand them, don't you agree?
moving finger said:
However it may be the case that the true God transcends all of these homocentric religions, therefore the question boils down simply to a choice : Either the true God exists or does not exist – either believe in the true God or do not. No third way. Simple as that. Why need there be a third option?
nameless said:
How is it that you go from "it may be the case", to "Either the true God exists or does not exist – either believe in the true God or do not. No third way." in one breath.
Because (a) I “doubt” and (b) I believe in the law of the excluded middle.
nameless said:
There 'needs' to be third options because ther ARE further options, and deliberately ignoring them to 'prove' a hypothesis is error
With respect, this is logical fallacy.
The statement “the true God exists” is logically either true or false.
What would you suggest is “the third way”?
There is no “third way”. I am not deliberately ignoring anything, I am looking at the question from a purely rational and logical perspective. To claim that this is “downright dishonest” is to reject the whole foundation of logic.
nameless said:
…….and downright dishonest.
Now who is indulging in “personal attacks”?
nameless said:
If you have something of substance, evidence of your posited 'god', any real objections to his critique, come ahead and enlighten me.
I have answered your question, and "his critique" already.
I do not posit any “god”. But I do defend the right of others to do so.
nameless said:
But let's not waste time with word games and 'personalities'?!
I agree, but where have I done that? With respect, I have tried to keep this to a logical and rational debate.

As always, With respect

MF

Last edited:
moving finger said:
I dispute that you genuinely “doubt everything”.
When I share something of the way that I think, and you basically (arrogantly and disputatiously) call me a liar, the conversation is over.
One thing that I DO doubt is that continuing this discussion (between us) will be 'fruitful' for either of us, or anyone else, and I don't think that we aught to hijack this thread any longer.
So I'll leave you with the last word.

Last edited:
nameless said:
I dispute that you genuinely “doubt everything”.
nameless said:
When I share something of the way that I think, and you basically (arrogantly and disputatiously) call me a liar, the conversation is over.
With all due respect, you seem to be taking this discussion very personally and emotionally. My remark is quite acceptable in the context of a rational and civilised debate – “I dispute that you genuinely doubt everything”” is a legitimate statement to make – it means “I do not think that you genuinely doubt everything”.
If you wish to interpret this as a personal insult then I am sorry, but that is (with respect) your problem and not mine.

And please remember, when it comes to accusing people of personal insults, YOU are the one that claimed my position was one of being "downright dishonest".

nameless said:
So I'll leave you with the last word.
Very kind of you.
Take care in your future posts,
MF

Last edited:
Back to topic: "Why does one fear death?"

Because it's in our nature to both be afraid of and exited about things that are unknown to us. Most people feel that they don't understand the concept of death, and they are therefore both afraid of it, and interested in it.

That's atleast my theory.

I think the infamous "fear of death" is a misinterpreted fear. I believe the root of the fear isn't the act of death itself, but the mystery that lies BEYOND death. We're of the understanding that death is an "irreversible cessation of all vital functions especially as indicated by permanent stoppage of the heart, respiration, and brain activity" (cited from dictionary.com). But what we don't know is what's in store after the event of death.

Humans crave understanding and knowlege. To not know something is to not understand something, and it's human nature to fear what it doesn't understand. So in turn, we fear the unknown and the possibilies it may entail.

I think it's important to clearly define the topic of this conversation. Death can be feared on many levels. For example, does one fear: the process of dying (i.e. the sensations of a fatal heart attack), the state of death (i.e. the physical state of being dead), or (most commonly) what lies beyond death? The answer varies depending on the individual, I suppose.

On a more personal note, I don't fear the state of or the process of death. I'm not exactly afraid of what happens after I die, but I'm certainly saddened by the thought I may never see the people I love again. That's what hits home for me, and I suppose that saddening thought is one reason why I don't like to consider the possibility of reincarnation (which I guess results in losing the memory of a former life). I don't want to forget those in my life, or myself, for that matter.

Niode said:
Humans crave understanding and knowlege. To not know something is to not understand something, and it's human nature to fear what it doesn't understand. So in turn, we fear the unknown and the possibilies it may entail.

I'd like to build on this. It is human nature to crave understanding. But through out history we have had a problem with speculating about the unknown. The Earth is flat, the sun revolves around the earth. Humans observed these events happening and this is what they thought, this is the product of their reasoning. As time went on our knowledge of science grew, and with it, we made closer observations and realized how things are in reality. Death was an observable phenomena, the problem is we can't observe what happens to the psyche after death, regardless of science or technology; so as usual we speculate. Depending on what an individual believes will happen after they die, will determine their emotional response to death. That is why I believe one may fear the unknown aspect of death.

there is no death.
the body recycles.

The sense of the non-existant
self is fear...misery.

Have a peek.
Don't faint.
It's OK.

I agree completely with post #44. :)

meL said:
there is no death.
the body recycles.
is "the consciousness that calls itself meL" exactly the same as (ie synonymous with) "the body of meL"?

MF

moving finger said:
is "the consciousness that calls itself meL" exactly the same as (ie synonymous with) "the body of meL"?
MF
What consciousness?
There is only repeating.

Yes, the body of meL is only repeating.

Dont faint.:bugeye:

ho ho ho

Why do people fear death?

"To die, to sleep, to sleep perchance to dream, aye, there's the rub. For in that sleep of death what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil...for who would bear the whips and scorns of time, the opressors wrong, the proud man's contumely, and the spurns that patience merits of the unworthy takes, when he might his quiet make with a bare bodkin. But that the dread of something after death, the undiscovered country from whose bourn no traveller returns, puzzles the will and makes us rather bear those ills we have then fly to others we know not of."

Sorry if I made any mistakes; its been a while since I read "Hamlet".

I fear dying before GR and quantum theory are unified.

Lifter0569 said:
First, there are no religion specifics here anywhere. It is simply a question by philosophical reasoning.
To me and many others, this seems the most important question that one can make a decision on, in duration of their life. And I have not seen this type of question in here yet. And I would like to ask, do you fear death? If you do, why? Because of uncertainty? Well let me ask you this.
While assuming (using logically reasoning) that there are two possible paths after death, one being that you cease to exist, the other being able to think without being "alive"...
Hypothetically, someone does not believe in a creator. He believes he will cease to exist and not be able to think any longer once his body disintegrates from functioning. Logically, he should not fear death, and any entity with this given fate should not fear death.
The other path, being that you think outside of the universe. There is another "fork" in the road (assuming many religions are correct). A path of great happiness, etc. Or a place to feel only pain and separation from our creator.
So, what have you done to cope with the inherent uncertainty with your inevitable death? What kind of philosophical thought process have you done to make that decision.
This topic seems most relevant.

I don't fear death, I just don't want it to happen to me. Fear is just the emotion that helps to avoid death. Living as long as possible is everyone's wish. Unless you're Al-Qaeda.

i've had something happen to me (a disease) which made me seriously consider killing myself (bought a gun). before that happened i would have never consider it as option that would ever entered my life. i had the romantic image of peacefully dying in my sleep. thankfully I've gotten better but will never be cured and i know when i become older i have a very real chance of a drawnout painfull death. so with this in mind I'm going to live as well as i can until the pain overwhelms me. the only thing i ever get sad about is that I'm never going to have children that i can raise and impart what you would call my legacy. now what makes me mad is that i will have lived on this planet and have never of had the chance to make a differance. so i am hopeing that my brother or sister has a kid so that i may be a mentor and be remmembered that way, if not I'm going to try and find a kid that has potential to do something great and I'm going to help him as much as i can. i know it's wishfull thinking but that's what keeps me going. also I'm writing a book about my life (crazy life) in the hopes that it will far outlast the memory of my existence. I've even looked into having my ashes shot out in space or compressed into a diamond. it all seems pointless when eventually the sun will burn up the Earth anyway but it makes me feel better. so what I'm trying to say is i don't fear death anymore but the one thing that scares the **** out of me is that i will be forgotten and my existence will have never even mattered.

Mugsby, your post is both touching and poignant.
I understand what you are saying and can only offer a word about what has worked for me. I've had 5 boys and there are grandchildren, etc... and I fully realize that in 1,000 years, or perhaps 10, who knows, there might be not a trace of even a memory.. so.. I try to live every moment, as 'in the moment' as possible, and I live my life LARGE! Enjoy what I can; I can 'be', I can 'do', or not, as I choose. No time for dishonesty, no time for freaking out over an imaginary future or past; just Be Here Now.
Everyone whose life that you touch will be 'touched' by your love and compassion (centering in the moment does that to folks quite often), as long as they live.. But that doesn't concern you. You just center, and radiate from the reality of Now. Perhaps they, having learned from you, will 'touch' other lives along their way...
"We shall all die, my friend, but we shall not all have lived!"
Live! And Live well!

To die is scary, ,,but all others will also die is somewhat soothing! :biggrin: Those who meet in heaven, or hell please do post ur experiences, and those who "cease to exist" ......may your soul rest in peace:rofl:

Critical_Pedagogy said:
I don't fear death, I just don't want it to happen to me. Fear is just the emotion that helps to avoid death. Living as long as possible is everyone's wish. Unless you're Al-Qaeda.
I don't fault you for repeating what the US government says.

But I should.

Al-Qaeda is yet another USA funded and trained "operation",
just like Saddam, Bin Laden, and the Taliban. Just like Hamas
is but an Israeli "operation" when one gets right down to it...

My point is, this climate of fear being coerced around us all -
through the "War of Terror" and natural disasters - has a BIG
effect on making people FEARFUL of death. Because, oh my,
around any corner might be one of those suicide bombers!
Or one of those hurricanes might kill you! Or... (get it yet?)

Why does one fear death? Because other people make death
so damn SCARY! People like G.W. Bush and Rumsfeld do much
to make people fear death. Hollywood tries really hard, too...

flotsam said:
I fear dying before GR and quantum theory are unified.

I bet you 100 dollars that you will still fear death just as much once they are ;)

Human Being said:
Or... (get it yet?)
Why does one fear death? Because other people make death
so damn SCARY! People like G.W. Bush and Rumsfeld do much
to make people fear death. Hollywood tries really hard, too...

People have always feared death, and feared for the death of their offspring (I said offspring because this applies to animals as well... for the most part).

People fear death because they don't know what will happen once they die, and they don't want to give up what they are doing now, maybe it's just the same thing as a fear for the unknown.

who dies? things come and go. if i am the body, why doesn't the body get up and refuse to be buried after i leave it? if i am the mind, why have "I" remained the same throughout all of its changes? same goes for the body. so who dies? if every living "thing" or every physical thing and mental state changes, and must change, what is the "me" that has persisted through all of the changes, unchanged?

you are not worldly to begin with, but it is a rollercoaster of a dream, no doubt. in fact, sometimes i forget that i got onto the coaster initially and that i will eventually get off when it's over.

dreams are deceivingly realistic. ever notice how one rarely wakes from a pleasant dream, but quickly awakens, to ones' great relief, from a disturbing dream... might make you question the so-called "problem of evil", eh?