Why does the Chandrasekhar mass calculation give units of kg³?

  • Topic: Stargazing 
  • Thread starter Thread starter MarkL
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Units
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
MarkL
Messages
34
Reaction score
2
TL;DR
relativistic equation for mass give incorrect units using Lame Emden
Using Lane Emden and n = 3 (relativistic), I calculate the correct mass -- the Chandrasekhar mass (about 1.4 Msun)
The equation goes Mtotal ∝ a3, because at n=3, the density, ρ, cancels out.
a2 ∝ K/G = Kg2 → a3 ∝ Kg3. Here K ∝ h c or Kg m3/sec2 and G ∝ m3/Kg/sec2
This implies the mass, Mtotal units is Kg3

What is wrong, please...
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
A reference would be helpful. Looking at the Wikipedia page, ##K=P/\rho^{1+1/n}##, which is ##P\rho^{-4/3}## in your case. That does not seem to me to have dimensions of ##\mathrm{[M]}^2##, but rather ##\mathrm{[M]}^{2/3}## if my late night algebra is correct. But that page doesn't mention a symbol ##a## anywhere, so it may be a symbol clash - which is why a reference would be helpful.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: MattieSaddler
Ibix said:
A reference would be helpful. Looking at the Wikipedia page, ##K=P/\rho^{1+1/n}##, which is ##P\rho^{-4/3}## in your case. That does not seem to me to have dimensions of ##\mathrm{[M]}^2##, but rather ##\mathrm{[M]}^{2/3}## if my late night algebra is correct. But that page doesn't mention a symbol ##a## anywhere, so it may be a symbol clash - which is why a reference would be helpful.
Thank you - I discovered my mistake. I will delete this post shortly.
 
MarkL said:
I guess I can't delete...
No reason to delete the thread -- it has value to others. I'll go ahead and tie it off for you. :smile: