Why does Uranium-238 absorb fast moving neutrons

• Thread starter Ed Aboud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutrons
In summary, the conversation discusses the reasons behind why Uranium-238 absorbs fast moving neutrons better than slow ones, contrary to intuition. This is due to the fact that U-235 fissions more easily with slow neutrons, making the ratio of fission over capture more favorable for slow neutrons. This is attributed to the pairing force.
Ed Aboud
Hi all.
Why does Uranium-238 absorb fast moving neutrons very well but not slow moving ones?
My intuition tells me it should be the other way around but its not.
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hmm, I still don't really get it.

U-238 captures slow neutrons as well as fast, and even a bit more slow than fast. However, U-235 fissions MUCH MORE easily with slow neutrons than with fast, and hence the ratio for fission in U-235 over capture in U-238 is more favorable for slow neutrons than for fast.

Oh ok, I get it now. Thanks very much.

it has to with the pairing force, the answer vanesh gave you.

1. What is the process of uranium-238 absorbing fast moving neutrons?

Uranium-238 absorbs fast moving neutrons through a process called nuclear fission. This occurs when a neutron collides with a uranium-238 atom, causing it to split into two smaller atoms and releasing energy in the form of heat.

2. Why does uranium-238 specifically absorb fast moving neutrons?

Uranium-238 is a fissile isotope, meaning it has the ability to undergo fission when struck by a neutron. It has a large nucleus and a high concentration of unstable neutrons, making it more likely to absorb fast moving neutrons compared to other elements.

3. How does the absorption of fast moving neutrons affect uranium-238?

The absorption of fast moving neutrons by uranium-238 causes the atom to become unstable and break apart into two smaller atoms. This releases a tremendous amount of energy, which can be harnessed for various purposes such as generating electricity in nuclear power plants.

4. Can other elements also absorb fast moving neutrons like uranium-238?

Yes, there are other elements that can absorb fast moving neutrons and undergo nuclear fission. These include plutonium-239, thorium-232, and neptunium-237. However, uranium-238 is the most commonly used element for nuclear energy production.

5. Is the absorption of fast moving neutrons by uranium-238 a safe process?

The process of nuclear fission, which involves the absorption of fast moving neutrons by uranium-238, can be dangerous if not properly controlled. However, with proper safety measures and regulations in place, the use of nuclear energy can be a safe and efficient source of electricity.