Why f(x) = x^n - r e^{i \theta}? Seeking Analytic Explanation

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ggb123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Explanation Theta
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ggb123
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
I'd like to figure out why

[tex]f(x) = x^n - r e^{i \theta} = \prod_{j = 0}^{n - 1} ( x - r^{1/n} e^{i \theta / n} e^{2 \pi i j / n} )[/tex],

as I've seen it used as an identity in a few courses but I cannot figure it out. Could somebody shed some light? I understand they are the roots of the function, but I'd like some kind of analytic description.

Thanks a lot!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I think you may have answered your own question: if you are willing to accept that the RHS above can be rewritten as
[tex] \prod_{j = 0}^{n - 1} ( x - a_j )[/tex]
where [itex]a_j[/itex] (with [itex]j=0,1,...,n-1[/itex]) are the n-th roots of the complex number in polar form [itex]r e^{i \theta}[/itex], then your question can be rephrased as: "can somebody point me to a proof of the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra"?

My 2 cents.
 
Last edited:
You have ##x^n = re^{i\theta}##, so taking the n'th root of each side you get
$$x = \sqrt[n]{re^{i\theta}}\,\omega_k, \quad k = 0,\dots,n-1$$
where the ##\omega_k## are the n'th roots of unity.