Why is <2>[x] not maximal in Z[x] if <2> is maximal in Z?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter wowolala
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 8K views
wowolala
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
here is the quesiton:

let I=<2>. prove that I[x] is not a maximal ideal of Z[x] even though I is a maximal ideal of Z

can someone help me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
morphism said:
What is I[x] supposed to be?

Morphism, are you asking this to make sure that wowolala understands it or can anyoe answer?
 
Anyone can answer - but who's to tell if what they say is what wowolala had intended. :wink: It's just that I'm not familiar with the notation I[x] when I is an ideal, probably because for me rings have always been unital so that ideals aren't necessarily (sub)rings. But I guess I[x] is the ideal generated by I and {x}?
 
My "guess" would be that, since I is the set of all even integers, I[x] is the set of all polynomials, in the variable x, having even integers for coefficients. That is an ideal of Z[x] but not maximal: there is no single polynomial, having even coefficients, that generates the ideal.
 
HallsofIvy said:
there is no single polynomial, having even coefficients, that generates the ideal.
That's true, but it proves that I[x] isn't principal and not that it isn't maximal.

I think the fastest way to prove non-maximality is to observe that Z[x]/I[x] isn't a field.