Why is a non-principal ideal torsion-free rank 1 but not free?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter hypermonkey2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Modules
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
hypermonkey2
Messages
101
Reaction score
0
Hi all, I came across this problem in a book and I can`t seem to crack it.
It says that if we have an integral domain R and M is any non-principal ideal of R,
then
M is torsion-free of rank 1 and is NOT a free R-module.

Why is this true?

cheers
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ah so i see why it needs to be torsion free. (M lies in R, so if there is r such that rm=0, R can't be an integral domain...)

but what about the rank? Why must it be 1? I am also surprised that it is not free..