Why is 'pdflatex -halt-on-error -interaction=batchmode' failing?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter sineth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Failing
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of not being able to regenerate a previously generated pdf file using Matlab and Dynare. The codes used to generate the file are listed and it is suggested to delete the old files and try again. If the error persists, it is recommended to compile the file manually and look at the actual error messages generated by pdftex. An alternative method is also provided to print the console output of pdftex to diagnose the error without having to manually run it again.
sineth
Hi,
I am using Matlab, and Dynare to run a model.
I have the following codes to generate the Latex file. My codes were properly working and I generated the pdf file once. Now I cannot re-generate the same pdf file. I get the warning message ('TeX-File did not compile; you need to compile it manually'
Can someone please identify any issues here? I have updated MiKTeX and checked for updates. No issue is found.
My problem is as I have generated the pdf once, do I need to delete the history files or so. Otherwise how to resolve this iissue.
Thanks
Sineth

write_latex_definitions;
write_latex_parameter_table;
write_latex_original_model;
write_latex_dynamic_model;
write_latex_static_model;
write_latex_steady_state_model;
collect_latex_files;

if system(['pdflatex -halt-on-error -interaction=batchmode ' M_.fname '_TeX_binder.tex'])
warning('TeX-File did not compile; you need to compile it manually')

Physics news on Phys.org
First i would save the relevant pdf files that worked previously for backup, then delete them and start again.

It may be that some step skipped over generating some intermediary data and read in the old data that a later step determined didn't match up hence the error.

Beyond that there's not much we can do here since there's little to go on unless one of us at PF has encountered this error with a similar project and recall how we fixed it.

Likes sineth
Thanks for the reply @jedishrfu. I have tried after deleting all pdf files generated. But get the same error.

To determine the cause, compile it manually and look at the actual error message(s) generated by pdftex.

Likes jedishrfu
Thanks

Rather than
Code:
if system(['pdflatex -halt-on-error -interaction=batchmode ' M_.fname '_TeX_binder.tex'])
    warning('TeX-File did not compile; you need to compile it manually')
why not try
Code:
[status,cmdout] = system(['pdflatex -halt-on-error -interaction=batchmode ' M_.fname '_TeX_binder.tex'])
if status
   disp(cmdout)
and if an error occurs MATLAB will print the actual console output of pdftex, removing the need to rerun it manually in order to diagnose the error.

Likes jedishrfu

1. Why is the pdflatex command failing?

There could be multiple reasons for the pdflatex command failing. Some common reasons include incorrect syntax in the command, missing packages or dependencies, and errors in the LaTeX code being compiled.

2. What does the -halt-on-error flag do in the pdflatex command?

The -halt-on-error flag tells pdflatex to stop the compilation process if it encounters any errors. This is useful when trying to identify and fix errors in the LaTeX code.

3. How does the -interaction=batchmode flag affect the pdflatex command?

The -interaction=batchmode flag sets the interaction mode of pdflatex to batch, which means it will not prompt for user input during the compilation process. This is useful when trying to automate the compilation process or run it in the background.

4. What can I do if pdflatex is failing due to missing packages or dependencies?

If pdflatex is failing due to missing packages or dependencies, you can try installing them using a package manager or manually downloading and installing them. It is also important to make sure that you have the latest versions of all required packages.

5. How can I troubleshoot pdflatex failing due to errors in my LaTeX code?

To troubleshoot pdflatex failing due to errors in the LaTeX code, you can use the -halt-on-error flag to stop the compilation process and then carefully review the error messages to identify and fix the errors in your code. It is also helpful to use a text editor or IDE that has syntax highlighting and error checking capabilities.