Why is the crime rate in West Virginia so low compared to other states?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dremmer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    crime
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
Dremmer
Messages
92
Reaction score
0
Why is the crime rate in West Virginia so low? If poverty causes crime, shouldn't West Virginia have high crime?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you been to West Virginia? I have some cousins living there, and they've all been to prison. Last time I visited, I couldn't count how may times some random guy on the street would ask me if I wanted to buy some "rock," pills, or "bud." Also got into a fight. Everybody acted like they had something they wanted to prove.

Crime rate is based on arrests, right? If there is high corruption in law enforcement, then arrests might not be a good indicator of crime.

In general, non-violent crime rates increase as incomes come down, and violent crime rates increase as children with single parents increase. I'm guessing the latter is only because the parents don't have enough time, or aren't willing to be a positive influence in their children's lives.
 
loquita2 said:
Most of Virginia, and places around Washington DC are poor.

I'll have to challenge you on this point - please support. Please note - "around Washington D.C." means suburban MD and Northern Virginia - if you meant D.C. proper - please clarify.
 
ektrules said:
Have you been to West Virginia? I have some cousins living there, and they've all been to prison. Last time I visited, I couldn't count how may times some random guy on the street would ask me if I wanted to buy some "rock," pills, or "bud." Also got into a fight. Everybody acted like they had something they wanted to prove.

Crime rate is based on arrests, right? If there is high corruption in law enforcement, then arrests might not be a good indicator of crime.

In general, non-violent crime rates increase as incomes come down, and violent crime rates increase as children with single parents increase. I'm guessing the latter is only because the parents don't have enough time, or aren't willing to be a positive influence in their children's lives.

Other things could affect the arrest rate as well. Maybe County A has no law against alcohol, and County B bans the consumption of it. With something like alcohol, it's obvious people are going to break the law anyway. If everything else is equal, than County B will have a higher arrest rate. Things normally aren't equal, though, and there are a multitude of differing laws and other factors.