Why is the energy of the OMG particle so low compared to its high velocity?

• Thread starter Reallyfat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of high-velocity particles in particle physics, specifically the case of an "OMG particle" traveling at 0.9999999999999999999999951c. The formula used to calculate its energy is found to be inaccurate due to limitations in numerical accuracy. The conversation also touches on the use of non-SI units and the concept of gamma factor in special relativity.
Reallyfat
Hi everybody, I'm relatively new to particle physics. So I was reading up some stuff on high-velocity particles, and I found something on Fourmilab. The report is of a so-called OMG particle, traveling at some 0.9999999999999999999999951c. That's a ridiculously high speed, as far as I can tell. But anyways. I read that this particle was a proton, and it had an energy of around 50 joules. So I decided to use the classical physics equation:
EKinetic = m*v2*0.5
Just to test it. Needless to say, it did not work. I looked it up, and high-velocity particles have a relativistic formula where:
relativistic_energy.png

However, when I substitued my values for v and m, my energy came out as value which was to the power -10. Is there a reason that my energy value is some 10 orders of magnitude lower than it should be? And if so, could someone please guide me through the equation step-by-step so that I can work out where I went wrong?
I appreciate the responses, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think protons have a big mass?

I used the standard proton mass, 1.67e-27 kg. Whether or not you'd call it big is relative.

Reallyfat said:
0.9999999999999999999999951c

That's 25 significant figures. Squaring it accurately and then subtracting from 1 requires at least 50 significant figures. Can your calculator handle that many?

You can obtain a more or less accurate estimate writing: [itex]\beta=1-\epsilon[/itex] with [itex]\epsilon=49\times 10^{-25}[/itex].
Then:
$$
E=\frac{m}{\sqrt{1-(1-\epsilon)^2}}=\frac{m}{\sqrt{2\epsilon-\epsilon^2}} \simeq \frac{m}{\sqrt{2\epsilon}}.
$$
In this way you only need to compute a number with 12 significant digits. Using the mass of the proton to be roughly 1GeV I obtained [itex]E\simeq 3.2\times 10^{10} GeV[/itex], which is more or less 5 Joule. I'm still out by an order of magnitude.

Doing the calculation in SI units directly:
$$E \simeq \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{2\epsilon}}$$
I get 48 J.

I probably screwed some calculation :D

I used an online calculator with max precision.
Anyway, I see what you've done, but could you explain why you did it? What exactly do Beta and Epsilon represent? And also, why does the formula simply not work with the
E=E0/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
formula I used?
Thanks in advance.

You are assuming your calculator has unlimited precision - it doesn't. Your calculator can only store about 16-17 digits reliably.

When you take a number like [itex] 1 - (0.99999999...9)^2 [/itex], you're going to end up with a number which looks like [itex] 0.000000000...[/itex], however if your numerical accuracy can't store more than the first 16-17 digits, then the result becomes identically zero.

This is why you can't just blindly plug numbers in a computer - you have to actually think about the calculation a bit, which is what Einj was demonstrating.

In special relativity one defines [itex]\beta=v/c[/itex]. I just defined [itex]\epsilon=49\times 10^{-25}[/itex] as a small number, such that [itex]\beta=1-\epsilon[/itex].

Likes 1 person
Reallyfat said:
The report is of a so-called OMG particle, traveling at some 0.9999999999999999999999951c. That's a ridiculously high speed, as far as I can tell.
No, it's not even as much as the speed of light. :smile: But it's a good illustration of why people in high energy physics don't concern themselves with velocity! It's impossible to measure v to 20 decimal places or whatever this is, and equally impossible to do anything useful with it.

But anyways. I read that this particle was a proton, and it had an energy of around 50 joules... I used the standard proton mass, 1.67e-27 kg.
We also don't use SI units, which are suitable for everyday measurements but bring in very large exponents when we try to apply them to particle physics.

The mass of a proton is about 1 GeV/c2. The energy of this OMG particle, according to the article, was 3 x 108 TeV. Since E = γmc2, the gamma factor is the ratio of these two numbers, 3 x 1011.

Now γ = (1 - v2/c2)-1/2 so (1 - v2/c2)1/2 = 3 x 10-12, and (1 - v2/c2) = 10-23. Thus v2/c2 = one part in 1023 less than 1, and v/c is half a part in 1023 less.

Likes 1 person
Ah, I see where my mistake lies. I did my calculation in electron volts and it works now. Thanks so much everybody!

1. What is the "OMG particle" and why is it called that?

The "OMG particle", or the Oh-My-God particle, is the name given to a high-energy cosmic ray particle that was detected in 1991. It was named "OMG" because the scientist who discovered it wrote "Oh my God!" on the printout when he saw the extremely high energy level.

2. How much energy does the OMG particle have?

The OMG particle has an energy level of approximately 3 x 10^20 electron volts (eV), which is equivalent to about 48 joules or the energy released by a small hurricane.

3. Where did the OMG particle come from?

The exact origin of the OMG particle is still unknown, but it is believed to have come from a distant galaxy outside of our Milky Way. It is thought to have traveled for millions of years before reaching Earth.

4. How was the energy of the OMG particle measured?

The energy of the OMG particle was measured using the Fly's Eye detector at the University of Utah. The detector uses a grid of 4,000 photomultiplier tubes to detect the faint flashes of light created when high-energy particles enter the Earth's atmosphere.

5. What impact does the OMG particle's energy have on our understanding of the universe?

The detection of the OMG particle and other high-energy cosmic rays has helped scientists better understand the extreme conditions and processes that occur in the universe, such as black holes, supernovas, and other cosmic events. It also raises questions about the limits of energy in the universe and the potential for even higher energy particles that have yet to be detected.