Why is the Flexural Wavelength Dependent on Density?

In summary, the flexural wavelength (λ=(4*D/gΔρ)^.25) is dependent on the difference in density (Δρ) because the spatial term in the flexural wave equation is a fourth degree term, which takes into account the mass and acceleration of the layer. This means that the wavelength is affected by the density difference between layers, as seen in the bimetal strip analogy. The model used to explain this only considers the balance between vertical load and resistance within the layers, making it quite intuitive.
cpbrown
I'm familiar with the derivation of flexural wavelength (λ=(4*D/gΔρ)^.25), but have no intuition for why λ's dependent on Δρ. My intuition tells me if you put a mass on a plate and it bends a little, then you increase the mass, the amplitude of the bend will change, but not the wavelength (assuming you're not stretching far enough to change the material properties). Anyone have any explanation to help with my false intuition? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Intersting topic, tectonics isn't it ? I have found the explanation in http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ecalais/teaching/eas450/Gravity5.pdf. The model seems to consider only the balance between vertical load and resistance within a stack of two layers having different densities. For me it is quite intuitive that both the deflection depth and width depend on density difference. May be a useful analogy would be that of a bimetal strip whose deformation depends on the difference between the linear thermal expansion coefficients of the two metals, the only thing is that in this case horizontal forces should be balanced.

The answer is really pretty simple.

When generating the relevant flexural wave equation the force = mass times acceleration

and the mass = density times volume of the layer concerned.

The spatial term is a fourth degree term due to the flexural action thus

[tex]YI\frac{{{\partial ^4}\varphi }}{{\partial {X^4}}} = - \rho V\frac{{{\partial ^2}\varphi }}{{\partial {t^2}}}[/tex]

The right hand side is the mass x acceleration term, [itex]\varphi [/itex] is the displacement variable.

Last edited:

1. Why is the flexural wavelength dependent on density?

The flexural wavelength is dependent on density because the density of a material affects its stiffness and elasticity. The higher the density, the stiffer the material will be, and the shorter the flexural wavelength will be. This is because the stiffness of a material is directly proportional to its density.

2. How does density affect the flexural wavelength?

Density affects the flexural wavelength by influencing the stiffness and elasticity of a material. As mentioned earlier, a higher density results in a stiffer material, which leads to a shorter flexural wavelength. Conversely, a lower density will result in a more flexible material and a longer flexural wavelength.

3. Is there a mathematical relationship between density and flexural wavelength?

Yes, there is a mathematical relationship between density and flexural wavelength. This relationship is described by the flexural rigidity equation: EI = αρ, where E is the modulus of elasticity, I is the moment of inertia, α is a constant, and ρ is the density of the material. This equation shows that the flexural wavelength is inversely proportional to the square root of the density.

4. Can the flexural wavelength be manipulated by changing the density of a material?

Yes, the flexural wavelength can be manipulated by changing the density of a material. By altering the density, the stiffness and elasticity of the material will also change, thus affecting the flexural wavelength. This can be useful in engineering and design applications, as it allows for control over the behavior of materials under bending forces.

5. Are there any other factors besides density that can affect the flexural wavelength?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the flexural wavelength, such as the material's shape, size, and boundary conditions. The shape and size of a material can influence its stiffness and moment of inertia, which in turn affects the flexural wavelength. Additionally, the boundary conditions, such as fixed or free ends, can also impact the flexural wavelength of a material.