Why Is Tornado Alley a Hotspot for Twisters?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Tornado
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Mentor
Messages
23,212
Reaction score
7,700
For those of you not from the United States, tornado alley is a region of the U.S. where the majority of the world's tornadoes occur every year. The U.S. sees about 1200 tornadoes per year on average, with most of them occurring inside the region extending roughly from Texas northwards to Canada, and from the Rocky Mountains eastward to the Appalachian Mountains. Below are a couple of videos from stormchaser Pecos Hank showcasing these terribly majestic storms. Enjoy!





@phinds don't let your fur get blown away!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and collinsmark
Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
@phinds don't let your fur get blown away!
Glad I'm not near those twisters. I'd bark at'm so much I'd get a sore throat.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and Drakkith
My initial EMS training included Mass Casualty Incident training, and that included a long video of the aftermath of a very large tornado that tore through several towns. I think there were something like 4 ambulances to treat about a 10 square mile area of injured patients. There just happened to be film crews embedded with a couple of the ambulance crews that day, so all the footage was real-time. Very intense!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith
berkeman said:
I think there were something like 4 ambulances to treat about a 10 square mile area of injured patients.

Wow. They must have been seriously overworked...
 
Drakkith said:
Wow. They must have been seriously overworked...
Yeah, even that's an understatement. The main ambulance that was the subject of much of the footage was a mixed rig (paramedic + EMT), and they set up at a lightly-damaged high school in the Gym, and recruited local residents to help with the traffic control for the line of pickup trucks that were cycling through the parking lot, dropping off groups of injured patients, and transporting the most urgent patients to the closest hospital (about 20 miles away). The suburbs around the high school were mostly leveled, and notice went out by word-of-mouth that there was medical help at the high school.

I'd had some limited introductions to working in small-scale MCIs before getting my EMS certs, but that video really drove home that this stuff is for real, and you will be working on the edge in a big one. Running out of supplies, having to improvise on lots of things, thinking on your feet, and dealing with extremely serious injuries. I was a different (and better) person after that video, and I've used the lessons learned several times in real life in the years since then.

Tornado Alley is scary, but then again, I live on the Hayward Fault. I want to move someplace safer...
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, collinsmark and Drakkith
I've spent a couple dozen years in Tornado Alley and had a few close calls. Fortunately for me, never did they involve my own personal injury or property damage. Unfortunately, not everybody in the area can say the same. Tornadoes can be devastating.

------

On a lighter note, that rainbow toward the end of the second video reminded me of this (albeit a bit morbid) satire:

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith