Why isn't each half of a sport season called a semester?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bagasme
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Semester Sport
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 1K views
bagasme
Messages
79
Reaction score
9
Hi,

In education, I often hear about semesters, which are each halves of an academic year (the first one is from July to December and the second one is from January to June).

However, I never hear about that term in sport seasons: that is each halves of a sport season are just called halves.

So why is the term semester never used in sports, as opposed to education?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
bagasme said:
Hi,

In education, I often hear about semesters, which are each halves of an academic year (the first one is from July to December and the second one is from January to June).

However, I never hear about that term in sport seasons: that is each halves of a sport season are just called halves.

So why is the term semester never used in sports, as opposed to education?
I suppose it is like how we rarely hear about extra times in education and almost always call them extensions.
 
As one who has learned several languages, one lesson I've learned is that it is pointless to ask "why" in regards to language usage. Languages are not designed, they just evolve. So there is no answer to your "why" question other than, "that's just the way we say it."
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, wukunlin, Klystron and 1 other person
bagasme said:
However, I never hear about that term in sport seasons: that is each halves of a sport season are just called halves.

So why is the term semester never used in sports, as opposed to education?
Because that's not what the word means.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ygggdrasil and Vanadium 50