Why isn't each half of a sport season called a semester?

bagasme
Hi,

In education, I often hear about semesters, which are each halves of an academic year (the first one is from July to December and the second one is from January to June).

However, I never hear about that term in sport seasons: that is each halves of a sport season are just called halves.

So why is the term semester never used in sports, as opposed to education?

Answers and Replies

wukunlin
Gold Member
Hi,

In education, I often hear about semesters, which are each halves of an academic year (the first one is from July to December and the second one is from January to June).

However, I never hear about that term in sport seasons: that is each halves of a sport season are just called halves.

I suppose it is like how we rarely hear about extra times in education and almost always call them extensions.

phyzguy
Science Advisor
As one who has learned several languages, one lesson I've learned is that it is pointless to ask "why" in regards to language usage. Languages are not designed, they just evolve. So there is no answer to your "why" question other than, "that's just the way we say it."

Likes collinsmark, wukunlin, Klystron and 1 other person
russ_watters
Mentor

Because that's not what the word means.

Likes Ygggdrasil and Vanadium 50
Roberto Teso
  • Informative
  • Wow
Likes bagasme, Klystron and BillTre

Suggested for: Why isn't each half of a sport season called a semester?

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post