Why isn't each half of a sport season called a semester?

In summary, the term "semester" is commonly used in education to refer to the two halves of an academic year, but not in sports where the two halves of a season are simply called "halves." This is because the word "semester" specifically refers to half a year and does not apply to other time units. This is a result of the evolution of language and there is no specific reason for this difference in usage.
bagasme
Hi,

In education, I often hear about semesters, which are each halves of an academic year (the first one is from July to December and the second one is from January to June).

However, I never hear about that term in sport seasons: that is each halves of a sport season are just called halves.

So why is the term semester never used in sports, as opposed to education?

Physics news on Phys.org
bagasme said:
Hi,

In education, I often hear about semesters, which are each halves of an academic year (the first one is from July to December and the second one is from January to June).

However, I never hear about that term in sport seasons: that is each halves of a sport season are just called halves.

I suppose it is like how we rarely hear about extra times in education and almost always call them extensions.

As one who has learned several languages, one lesson I've learned is that it is pointless to ask "why" in regards to language usage. Languages are not designed, they just evolve. So there is no answer to your "why" question other than, "that's just the way we say it."

Likes collinsmark, wukunlin, Klystron and 1 other person
bagasme said:

Because that's not what the word means.

Likes Ygggdrasil and Vanadium 50
  • Informative
  • Wow
Likes bagasme, Klystron and BillTre

1. Why is a sport season divided into two halves instead of two semesters?

The term "semester" refers to a period of time within an academic year, typically lasting 15-18 weeks. In contrast, a sport season is typically much shorter, lasting only a few months. Therefore, it would not make sense to divide a sport season into two semesters as it would not align with the traditional definition of a semester.

2. Why is the term "semester" used in academic settings but not in sports?

The term "semester" has its origins in Latin, meaning "six months". It has been traditionally used in academic settings to refer to a period of time within an academic year. In contrast, the term "season" is used in sports to refer to a specific period of time during which a particular sport is played. While both terms refer to a specific time frame, they are used in different contexts and have different origins.

3. Is there a specific reason why a sport season is divided into two halves instead of four quarters?

The decision to divide a sport season into two halves or four quarters is dependent on the sport and the league in which it is played. Some sports, such as basketball and hockey, use a system of four quarters, while others, like soccer and baseball, use two halves. This decision is based on the rules and regulations of each sport, and there is no specific reason why one method is chosen over the other.

4. Is there any advantage to dividing a sport season into two halves instead of one continuous season?

There are advantages and disadvantages to dividing a sport season into two halves. Some argue that it allows for a break between the two halves, allowing players to rest and recover before the second half begins. It also creates a sense of anticipation and excitement for the start of the second half. However, others argue that it disrupts the flow of the season and can affect team momentum. Ultimately, the decision to divide a season into halves is dependent on the sport and the league.

5. Why do some sports use the term "half" instead of "semester"?

The use of the term "half" in sports is likely due to its simplicity and ease of understanding. "Half" refers to a division of two equal parts, which is an accurate description of how a sport season is divided into two equal periods. In contrast, "semester" has a more specific meaning within an academic setting and may not accurately reflect the division of a sport season. Therefore, "half" is a more commonly used term in sports.