Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why Not a Geophysics/Planetary Physics Category?

1. Aug 20, 2011 #1
    I recently had my thread: "Reason for Loss of Mas of Planet Mercury" (sorry for the typo on the word "mass") moved to the "General Astronomy" category. If Mercury has been ruled to be a star, I didn't get the memo.

What I wrote clearly belongs under the category of "Planetary Physics", and I'm a little surprised that this forum doesn't have a category for "Planetary Physics/Geophysics".

Would it be asking to much to request such a category?

(By the way, I'm taking another look at my Mercury theory, and I'm rapidly losing confidence in it, at least in its present form.)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2011 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

We have an "Earth" subforum in "other sciences"

4. Aug 20, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

An extra category would be nice, but I'm afraid it would be rather empty. There aren't a lot of planetary physics questions around. So I don't think it would deserve its own category.

There are other omissions, like a functional analysis forum or a civil engineering forum. But there are also not enough posts in order to create the new category...

But Greg knows all...

5. Aug 20, 2011 #4
    Thanks, although I'm not sure a post about Mercury would fit into a subforum entitled "Earth".

6. Aug 20, 2011 #5
    Micromass:

I get your point.

And who's "Greg"? (I'm new to this forum.)

By the way, I love your motto: "I am become the supreme onion, the saddener of worlds". Sort of like Professor Oppenheimer's famous Vedic quotation at Trinity Site.

7. Aug 20, 2011 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Hi BadBrain, unfortunately we don't have enough space to create a subforum for every discipline, so we have to group things together.

Greg owns this site, and we are his minions. micromass is my personal Supreme Onion minion.

It will take awhile to get accustomed, but in the meantime, got a favorite fish?

P.S. If micro ever offers a link, don't click on it!! :surprised

8. Aug 20, 2011 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Evo!! You're spoiling my fun :cry:

9. Aug 20, 2011 #8
    I understand the space issue. (Actually, being a planetary physicist, there are few space issues I shouldn't understand! :rofl: )

As far as my favourite fish is concerned, I really like Lake Perch, but I somehow think you're talking about something else. (Babel fish, perhaps?) In any case, could you please clarify?

Concerning Micromass's links, I'm not going near that one.

But, one question: Why do I always get tossed off the forum every half-hour or so after I've last posted? Is there some setting I need to adjust to prevent that, or do I just have to suffer through it?

10. Aug 20, 2011 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

*slaps BadBrain with Lake Perch*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1xfp6Xeu0c

Now you're initiated.

I find that annoying as well. But I'm afraid you'll have to suffer through it :frown:

11. Aug 20, 2011 #10

Evo

BadBrain, when you log in, do you check the "remember me" box?

My niece is a planetary geophysicist.

12. Aug 20, 2011 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There is a "remember me" box???? :surprised You don't get logged out automatically if you click that??? Wow...

13. Aug 20, 2011 #12

Evo

Yeah, I have one and I never get logged off.

You don't have one when you go to log on?

14. Aug 20, 2011 #13

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Wow, this is so cool to know :cool: I'm trying it now.

15. Aug 20, 2011 #14
    OK. The fish slapping sketch was boring the first time I saw it decades ago, and it's hardly improved with age. But consider me initiated, whatever that means.

16. Aug 20, 2011 #15
    The site does, indeed, remember me, but it's still a slight hassle to have to log in every time I want to post.

And MASSIVE CONGRATS TO YOUR NIECE!!!!

17. Aug 20, 2011 #16

Evo

We can un-initiate you, but the process is quite painful. :devil:

18. Aug 20, 2011 #17

Evo

Do you have something that prevents cookies from being placed on your computer?

She's my brother's second wife's niece. I had nothing to do with it. :biggrin:

19. Aug 20, 2011 #18

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

20. Aug 20, 2011 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

21. Aug 20, 2011 #20

Evo

Poor peng.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook