Why the domain of a DE solution must be an interval?

In summary, the domain of solutions for differential equations must be defined in an interval because boundary conditions at a point only affect the solution in a connected region. It is not necessary to define the solution on a lumped set of disconnected regions.
cathode-ray
Hi everyone!

I started studying differential equations, but I still didn't understand why the domain of the solutions must be defined in an interval. For example the solution of the following initial value problem:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} + \frac{1}{t}y=0,y(1)=1[/tex]

is given by y(t)=1/t that has it's domain in the interval ]0,+infinity[. Why can't it be defined in the set ]-infinity,0[ U ]0,+infinity[?

It just makes sense to me if we are using the solution to model a physical situation but mathematically I don't get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
cathode-ray said:
Why can't it be defined in the set ]-infinity,0[ U ]0,+infinity[?

It can be defined on that set if you want to.

The general solution on ]-infinity,0[ U ]0,+infinity[ is

y = A/t when t > 0
y = B/t when t < 0
where A and B are two independent constants.

The boundary conditions at a point can only affect the solution in a connected region containing that point. Your boundary condtion at t =1 fixes the value of A, but tells you nothing about the value of B.

So there is not usually much added value in lumping disconnected regions together into one "general solution".

AlephZero said:
The boundary conditions at a point can only affect the solution in a connected region containing that point. Your boundary condtion at t =1 fixes the value of A, but tells you nothing about the value of B.

So there is not usually much added value in lumping disconnected regions together into one "general solution".

I hadn't thought about this. Now it makes sense.

Thanks!

1. Why does a DE solution have to be an interval?

A DE solution must be an interval because it represents a range of values for the independent variable that satisfy the equation. In order for the solution to be valid, it must hold true for all values within this interval.

2. Can't a DE solution be a single point?

No, a DE solution cannot be a single point because it would only satisfy the equation at that specific point. A solution must represent a range of values in order to be considered a valid solution.

3. What happens if the domain of a DE solution is not an interval?

If the domain of a DE solution is not an interval, then the solution would not be valid. This means that it would not satisfy the equation for all values of the independent variable within that domain.

4. Why is it important for a DE solution to be valid?

A DE solution must be valid in order to accurately represent the behavior of the system described by the equation. If the solution is not valid, it would not accurately reflect the real-world situation and could lead to incorrect conclusions.

5. Can the domain of a DE solution be extended beyond an interval?

No, the domain of a DE solution must be limited to an interval. Extending the domain beyond this interval would introduce new values that may not satisfy the equation and therefore would not be a valid solution.