Why there are so many words looking similar to each other

• Thread starter Haorong Wu
  • Start date
In summary: For example, he spelled "cavalier" as "cavalier" and "honorable" as "honorable," despite the fact that the former word was originally spelled "cavalier" and the latter word was originally spelled "honorable."
Haorong Wu
Today is the national entrance test for M.A M.S candidates in China. The writing part in the English test is about habit and I wrote habitat. Damn! Many people did not spell habit correctly as well. It really bothers me that there are so many words in English looking so similar. Just replace e with a or something else, the meaning is changed. I really feel bad about myself now. Hope I can get a nice score.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't feel bad about yourself. I'm quite sure that it would be the same (or worse) for native English (or Dutch, or...) speakers trying to learn Chinese. Great you took the English test.

(Put more technically, metrics such as the Levenshtein metric can be used to quantify the distance between words, but as you noted yourself, these are not always good metrics to quantify the distance between their semantics.)

Haorong Wu said:
It really bothers me that there are so many words in English looking so similar

Dont be bothered about it, just learn different spelling has different meaning

The real issue comes with words that are spelt the same way but pronounced differently to get a different meaning

look at these examples ...

double meaning words.jpg

• Haha
Likes Infrared and phinds
From what I have been told, different words in Chinese sound a lot alike. Just change which syllable you put the emphasis on, and it completely changes the meaning.

Likes gleem
Spelling is EVIL dag nabbit !

1577014769732.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes sysprog, davenn and BillTre
This works both ways:

• Haha
Likes davenn
jim mcnamara said:
Blame Samuel Johnson. He wrote the first widely accepted dictionary of English and when he was through (threw?) spelling became a memorizing game. Rough and tough, though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dictionary_of_the_English_Language

I don't see it mentioned, but Johnson was supposed to have Tourette's Syndrome. An a posteriori diagnosis.
https://www.webmd.com/brain/tourettes-syndrome#1
Johnson's Dictionary was published in 1755. By that time, most words in scholarly works in English were already conventionally spelled according to the orthography of the King James Bible, which had been published in 1611. Although Johnson was an authority for the spelling of non-biblical words, many of his spellings relied on those he found in the works of prominent writers of English literature.

1. Why do so many words look alike in different languages?

This phenomenon is known as cognates, which are words that have a common origin and have similar spelling and meaning across different languages. This is due to the historical relationships and interactions between different cultures and languages. For example, English and Spanish have many cognates because of their shared Latin roots.

2. Are there any benefits to having similar-looking words in different languages?

Yes, having similar words in different languages can make it easier for people to learn new languages. It also allows for easier communication and understanding between speakers of different languages. Additionally, it can provide insight into the historical and cultural connections between different groups of people.

3. How do words become similar in different languages?

Words can become similar in different languages through borrowing, where one language adopts words from another language. This can happen through trade, conquest, or cultural exchange. Additionally, languages that share a common ancestor may have similar words due to their shared history.

4. Can similar-looking words have different meanings in different languages?

Yes, while similar-looking words may have similar meanings, they can also have different meanings in different languages. This is because words can change in meaning over time or may have different connotations in different cultures.

5. Is there a limit to how many words can look similar in different languages?

There is no clear limit to how many words can look similar in different languages, as it depends on the historical connections between those languages. However, as languages evolve and change over time, some words may become less similar or even completely different in appearance and meaning.