Why this combination and not another

In summary, the combinations in (9.66) and (9.67) are the only ones that lead to a state with the same norm as the starting state.
M. next
Why did the author of the book choose the combinations in (9.66) and (9.67) as follows? Why didn't he choose some other combination; say 1/sqrt(3) and the other 2/sqrt(3) instead of 1/sqrt(2) and 1/sqrt(2)?

Please see attachment. Note that this is problem on stark effect.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    39.9 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
Different combinations lead to different vectors...the author found the "eigenvectors" corresponding to the specific eigenvalues, these eigenvectors for non-degenerate eigenvalues are unique up to normalization.

Likes 1 person
I guess a physical explanation is that because they both build up [itex]\psi[/itex] state with equal contributions...

Then it is ok to choose whatever normalization I want? I can go for the 1/sqrt(3) and the other 2/sqrt(3) here?

M. next said:
Then it is ok to choose whatever normalization I want? I can go for the 1/sqrt(3) and the other 2/sqrt(3) here?

No, all eigenstates need to have the same nomalization, and in most cases you want the norm to be 1.

M. next said:
You need to look back in your textbook or your notes and review what an eigenvector is.

I know what an eigenvector is and I know how to normalize it. Let's say we have |+> I know it is already normalized. When I have (1 2)^T I know that 1/sqrt*5 is the normalization factor. But how would I know how to normalize |2 0 0>? |2 1 0>?
It is probably the notation of the ket including n, l, m that I am not being capable to translate into something familiar like a column vector...

M. next said:
I know what an eigenvector is and I know how to normalize it. Let's say we have |+> I know it is already normalized. When I have (1 2)^T I know that 1/sqrt*5 is the normalization factor. But how would I know how to normalize |2 0 0>? |2 1 0>?
It is probably the notation of the ket including n, l, m that I am not being capable to translate into something familiar like a column vector...

For the kets ##|a,b,c \rangle## to form a basis, they must have the same norm. Therefore, to form a new state ##\psi## as ##|a,b,c \rangle + |a',b',c' \rangle## with the same norm requires
$$
\psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( |a,b,c \rangle + |a',b',c' \rangle \right)
$$

M. next said:
I haven't looked at this specific case, but it's conventional to use notations like |210> only for vectors with norm 1. So these guys are almost certainly already normalized. If you're given a linear combination like ##|200\rangle +|210\rangle##, and you want to normalize it, you need to keep in mind what it means to normalize a vector. It means to find a vector in the same 1-dimensional subspace that has norm 1. The vector ##a|200\rangle +b|210\rangle## isn't in the same 1-dimensional subspace as ##|200\rangle +|210\rangle## unless a=b. So you need to ask yourself this: For what values of ##a## does ##a\big(|200\rangle +|210\rangle\big)## have norm 1? The first step is of course to calculate the norm of this vector. Do you know how to do that? (Assume that |200> and |210> are already normalized).

There are infinitely many complex numbers ##a## that get the job done, but only one of them has imaginary part zero and a positive real part. It's convenient to choose that one.

Likes 1 person
Oh great! Thank you for making this so clear Dr Claude!

1. Why did you choose this particular combination of variables for your experiment?

The combination of variables chosen for an experiment is based on a thorough understanding of the research question and the desired outcome. It may also be influenced by previous research, available resources, and statistical analysis. Each variable is carefully selected to contribute to a well-designed and meaningful experiment.

2. How did you determine the optimal combination of variables for your experiment?

The optimal combination of variables is determined through a combination of scientific knowledge, statistical analysis, and trial and error. Scientists use their expertise to select variables that are most likely to have a significant impact on the outcome of the experiment, and then use statistical methods to determine the best combination for achieving the desired results.

3. What factors influence the selection of variables for an experiment?

The selection of variables for an experiment is influenced by various factors such as the research question, available resources, ethical considerations, and practical limitations. Other factors may include the availability of previous research, potential confounding variables, and the potential impact of each variable on the outcome of the experiment.

4. How does the combination of variables affect the validity and reliability of the experiment?

The combination of variables can greatly impact the validity and reliability of an experiment. A well-designed combination of variables can increase the validity of the experiment by ensuring that all relevant factors are considered and controlled for. The reliability of an experiment can also be affected by the combination of variables, as certain combinations may produce consistent results while others may not.

5. Can the combination of variables be changed or modified during the experiment?

In most cases, the combination of variables should remain consistent throughout the experiment to ensure the validity and accuracy of the results. However, in some cases, modifications or adjustments may need to be made based on unforeseen circumstances or new information. Any changes to the combination of variables should be carefully documented and justified.