Why y=2x+1 is not a vector space?

In summary: As an example, if one defines addition in V as (x,y)+(x',y')=(x+x',-x+y+y') then V becomes a vector space over R with the given operations. In summary, The conversation is discussing how to show that the set of points in R^2 satisfying the equation y=2x+1 (denoted as V) is not a vector space. The expert suggests checking various axioms, and concludes that V fails axioms 1 and 4. The conversation then delves into the abstract concept of axiom 6 and how it affects the other axioms. It is also mentioned that V does not contain the zero vector and therefore cannot be a vector space under the usual definitions of addition
Antineutron
ice109 said:
antineutron:

Show that the solution set of y = 2x+1 fails to be a vector space.

I'm trying to solve a problem ice109 recommended. I'm trying to show how y=2x+1 is not a vector space. Here I go.

Let u=(x,2x+1) v=(x',2x'+1) w=(x",2x"+1)

1. If u and v are objects in V, then u + v is in V.

u+v=(x+x',2x+2x'+2) fails because 2 is not in V?

2. u + v = v + u

passes by inspection

3. u + (v + w) = (u + v) + w

also passes by inspection

4. There is an object 0 in V, called a zero vector for V, such that 0 + u = u+ 0 = u for all u in V

If x=0, the zero vector is (0,1)?

(0,1)+(x,2x+1)=(x,2x+2) which is not u, so it fails this test.

5. For each u in V, there is an object -u in V, called a negative of u, such that u + (-u) = (-u) + u = 0.

It passes obviously

6. If k is any scalar and u is any object in V, then ku is in V.

I don't know about this one... I don't know the meaning of this axiom...

7. k(u + v) =ku + kv

k[(x,2x+1)+(x',2x'+1)]=(kx,k2x+k)+(kx',k2x'+k) passes

8. (k + m)u = ku + mu

(k+m)(x,2x+1)=[(k+m)x,(k+m)2x+(k+m)]
k(x,2x+1) + m(x,2x+1)=(k+m)(x,2x+1)=[(k+m)x,(k+m)2x+(k+m)]

passes

9. k(mu) = (km)(u)

passes

10. 1u=u
passes

I can say for sure it fails axiom 1 and 4, but how do I check to see if it fails 6?

Physics news on Phys.org
It'll help if you're a bit more strict with your notation. So, we have the set V={(x,y):y=2x+1} and want to see if it's a vector space or not.

Axiom 4: The zero vector is not (0,1) but is the standard zero vector (0,0). Is this in V?
Axiom 5: The vector -u is the vector (-x,-y). Is this in V?
Axiom 6: ku=(kx,ky)=(kx,k(2x+1)). Is this in V for all k?
The other axioms after this hinge on 6.

Note that, in order to say that V is not a vector space, you only need to find one axiom that it does not satisfy.

cristo said:
It'll help if you're a bit more strict with your notation. So, we have the set V={(x,y):y=2x+1} and want to see if it's a vector space or not.

Axiom 4: The zero vector is not (0,1) but is the standard zero vector (0,0). Is this in V?
Axiom 5: The vector -u is the vector (-x,-y). Is this in V?
Axiom 6: ku=(kx,ky)=(kx,k(2x+1)). Is this in V for all k?
The other axioms after this hinge on 6.

Note that, in order to say that V is not a vector space, you only need to find one axiom that it does not satisfy.

I agree, there cannot be a vect of (0,0), so it fail axiom 4. I believe (-x,-y) is in V because (-x,-y)+(x,y) for any real numbers, should =0. So if this condition passes 7,8,9,10 then it cannot fail axiom 6? Can you eplain further? So if it fails axiom 6, it fails the rest? Axiom 6 is very abstact to me, I cannot get its meaning...

Antineutron said:
I agree, there cannot be a vect of (0,0), so it fail axiom 4. I believe (-x,-y) is in V because (-x,-y)+(x,y) for any real numbers, should =0. So if this condition passes 7,8,9,10 then it cannot fail axiom 6? Can you eplain further? So if it fails axiom 6, it fails the rest? Axiom 6 is very abstact to me, I cannot get its meaning...

Axiom 4: There are two things that a zero vector must satisfy here. Firstly, there must exist a 0 s.t. 0+u=u+0=u for all u in V. Secondly, the zero vector must be in V.

Axiom 5: Again, there are two points here. Firstly, there exists a -u s.t. u+(-u)=0, and secondly that -u is in V. -u=-(x,y)=(-x,-y)=(-x,-2x-1). Is this in V?

Axiom 6: ku is in V. Well, this says that, for all k, ku=k(x,y)=k(x,2x+1)=(kx,2kx+k) is in V. Is this true?

Finally, I meant that if axiom 6 does not hold, then 7 through 9 cannot, since they depend on the definition of ku.

cristo said:
Axiom 5: Again, there are two points here. Firstly, there exists a -u s.t. u+(-u)=0, and secondly that -u is in V. -u=-(x,y)=(-x,-y)=(-x,-2x-1). Is this in V?

Axiom 6: ku is in V. Well, this says that, for all k, ku=k(x,y)=k(x,2x+1)=(kx,2kx+k) is in V. Is this true?

Finally, I meant that if axiom 6 does not hold, then 7 through 9 cannot, since they depend on the definition of ku.

axiom 6 cannot work if k is any real number, is k any real number? if k=0 then ku is not in V. I'm still having trouble with axiom 5. Why is -u not in V?

Last edited:
I wanted to comment on this problem when ice109 posted it, but decided not to.

The question whether or not the set S = {(x,y) in R^2 : y=2x+1} = {(x,2x+1) in R^2 : x in R} doesn't make sense. To have a vector space, we need to specify a scalar field and two operations. What are they in this case?

It is true that S is not a subspace of R^2 under the usual definitions of addition and scaling (because it doesn't contain (0,0) -- that's all you need to say). But who is to say that S cannot be made a vector space under some other operations?

Exercise: Give suitable definitions of addition and scalar multiplication on S that make it a vector space (over R).

Antineutron said:
axiom 6 cannot work if k is any real number, is k any real number? if k=0 then ku is not in V.
Well, yes, k is a real number, so in general, the point (kx,2kx+k) does not satisfy the given condition.
I'm still having trouble with axiom 5. Why is -u not in V?
-u= (-x,-2x-1)=(x',2x'-1), on letting -x=x'. This is clearly not in V.

And yes, to reply to morphism's point, one does need to define addition and multiplication in V. However, when there is no definition of these operations, I at least assume the standard operations.

When showing that an axiom fails, give a specific counter-example.

For example axiom 1... let u = (0,1) and v = (0,1)

both u and v belong to the set described because (0,1) satisfies the equation y = 2x + 1.

But u + v = (0,1) + (0,1) = (0,2)

Does (0,2) satisfy the equation y = 2x + 1... left side comes out to 2... right side comes out to 1. left side does not equal right side... so (0,2) does not satisfy the equation... so (0,2) does not belong to the given set... so u + v does not belong to the given set.

so axiom 1 is violated...

for axioms 2, 3 pass.

axiom 4 is violated. For axiom 4... I'd recommend the extra step of showing that the zero vector if it exists must be (0,0)... Then since (0,0) does not belong to the described set, axiom 4 is violated... ie:

let a = (x1,y1) be a vector such that u + a = u where u is an object in the described set...

I can write u = (x2,y2)

u + a = u

(x1+x2, y1+y2) = (x2,y2)

x1+ x2 = x2 => x1 = 0.
y1+y2 = y2 =>y1 =0.

so if the described object has a zero vector, then it must be (0,0) (this is the only possibility for a zero vector).

But (0,0) does not satisfy y = 2x + 1. so it does not belong to the described set. So the described set has no zero vector...

So axiom 4 is violated.

For axiom 5... actually axiom 5 is ill-defined now because there's no zero vector for the set (since axiom 4 is violated)... If we ignore that and if we define -u by the standard operation ie: if u = (a,b) and if we define -u as (-a,-b)... then take a specific example u = (0,1). so -u = (0,-1)... -u = (0,-1) does not satisfy the equation y = 2x + 1.

we can't say that axiom 5 passes or fails... axiom 5 simply doesn't make sense now.

Axiom 6 is violated... u = (0,1) belongs to the set. But 2u = (0,2) does not belong to the set (check and see that (0,2) does not satisfy the given equation).

Axioms 7, 8, 9 and 10 pass. I think cristo's point is that in 7, 8 and 9 we may no longer be dealing with objects in the described set... ie ku may not be in the described set since axiom 6 is violated... but the axioms only state that u and v need to belong to the set... not that ku or kv must belong to the set.

Last edited:
recommend me a good book guys, if you guys know of a good book a person like me can gain great insights from. A good book that can help me understan mathematical concepts like these. Anything that can complement my Linear Algebra book, "Elementary Linear Algebra" by Howard Anton, or replace it when it comes to explanations. Thanks.

You get 'great insights' by working through the theory and becoming very adept at it. There are no great mysteries in mathematics, just hard work.

1. Why does y=2x+1 not satisfy the closure property?

The closure property states that if two vectors are in a vector space, their sum or scalar multiple is also in the vector space. In this case, y=2x+1 does not satisfy the closure property because it results in a linear equation, not a vector.

2. What makes y=2x+1 not a vector space?

In order for a set of vectors to be considered a vector space, it must satisfy certain properties such as closure, associativity, commutativity, existence of an additive identity, existence of additive inverses, and existence of scalar multiples. Since y=2x+1 does not satisfy the closure property, it cannot be considered a vector space.

3. Can y=2x+1 be a vector space in certain cases?

No, y=2x+1 cannot be a vector space in any case because it does not satisfy the fundamental properties of vector spaces. Even if it is a set of vectors, it cannot be considered a vector space if it does not meet all the necessary requirements.

4. Is y=2x+1 a valid vector equation?

No, y=2x+1 is not a valid vector equation because it does not represent a vector in the conventional sense. It is a linear equation, which represents a line on a graph and not a vector in a vector space.

5. How does the equation y=2x+1 differ from a vector in a vector space?

A vector in a vector space is a mathematical object with both magnitude and direction, while y=2x+1 is a linear equation with no direction. A vector also satisfies certain properties and can be manipulated using vector operations, while y=2x+1 cannot. Additionally, a vector is typically represented by a column or row matrix, while y=2x+1 is a one-dimensional equation.