Will a GED affect financial aid and transfer to university for astronomy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AustinJones
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    College
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
AustinJones
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
I dropped out of high-school this year, was tired of everyone telling me to go to college when I didn't even know what I wanted to do. I want to go into astronomy/cosmology with a minor in physics. I live next to the cheapest college in Florida, I know this because it is advertised as such. I know ill be able to get my associates their, but will having a GED prevent me from getting loans or grants? Possibly prevent me from getting into a good university after getting my AA, even if I have really good grades?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have really good grades post-high school, I wouldn't imagine it would hurt your chances much if you have a GED (unless you wanted to go to a prestigious school). I can't say for certain, but I would doubt it. Having a GED would certainly not prevent you from getting loans or grants from FAFSA (your/your parents' income might though on the latter).

Here in California, most of the Universities have "transfer agreements" with the local community colleges. If you do courses from a specified program along with the lower division major requirements, you're practically guaranteed entrance with a decent GPA (some schools it is as low as ~2.5GPA others it is >3.5). However, I believe they are changing this to require an associate's degree prior to transfer. I'm not sure how it is in FL, even though I went to high school there, but that is something to look into.
 
I graduated with a GED. Then I went into community colleges. I did well, then I transferred to one of the top engineering schools in the country. You won't be burdened by the GED.