Will an A- in thermal physics hurt my grad school applications?

  • Topic: Admissions 
  • Thread starter Thread starter gsmith
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
gsmith
Messages
37
Reaction score
1
This may be a potentially stupid question.
I have gone my entire undergraduate career without getting anything but As until today when I got an A- in Thermal/Statistical Physics. Of course, I understand that this is much better than most ever do, but since I still plan on applying to top programs (condensed matter experiment) next semester I am wondring if this A- is something I will be expected to explain in some way on my applications.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
Physics news on Phys.org
No matter what you say in your "explaining away of your A-", the admissions committee will read it as "I'm a perfectionist". And, from what I know (which isn't much), this isn't a good thing.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Amrator and mfb
I urge you to shelve the idea for ever
 
Wow, A-? I don't think even McDonalds will hire you now!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Amrator, ProfuselyQuarky, Dishsoap and 1 other person
You can always say that you had problems with drug abuse at the time.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DrSteve and Amrator