1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deferring graduation- hurt my grad school application?

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    I attend university in Hong Kong, where (prior to this year's change to a 4-year program) a typical bachelor degree consists of 3 years of study. I am currently in my 3rd year.

However, I am strongly considering deferring my graduation and extending my university studies another year, ie. taking 4 years of university.

I plan to apply to grad school after my bachelors, and am wondering if this extra undergrad year I'm taking will hurt my grad school application.

Any input much appreciated!

Reason I want to take an extra year:
    Hong Kong local high schools consist of an extra year (equivalent to a "grade 13"), and thus the reduced 3 years in university.

However, I attended an international school, which, like American high schools, end at grade 12. So essentially, I took a year less of high school than my university peers, and I would like to take an extra year in university to make up for that, so I would be better prepared for grad school.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2012 #2
    Aw come on guys, 400+ views and nobody has any input at all?

A little disappointed. :frown:

4. Nov 8, 2012 #3
    In order to appease your worries:
    I deferred my graduation by way more than 5 years...that's because where i live we had the option to enroll in a University(to obtain the student status) lets say today,be innactive for years and attend it full time lets say 5-10 years later or more!

That was valid before the legislation changed last year.The last 4 years i attended the school full time and i am about to graduate in few months time.My degree will be upper second class according to UK universities classifications.

i will apply next year for grad. study in top Europe universities.Then i will know and give you feedback :-)

Don't cry for 1 lost year...there is worse...schools only care if you have good grades,good reference letters,job experience and ca$$h to pay(Especially cash).
    Imo,"show them the dough" and you are in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook