Deferring graduation- hurt my grad school application?

In summary, the extra year of university study may not have a negative impact on future graduate school applications.
Fizicks1
I attend university in Hong Kong, where (prior to this year's change to a 4-year program) a typical bachelor degree consists of 3 years of study. I am currently in my 3rd year.

However, I am strongly considering deferring my graduation and extending my university studies another year, ie. taking 4 years of university.

I plan to apply to grad school after my bachelors, and am wondering if this extra undergrad year I'm taking will hurt my grad school application.

Any input much appreciated!

Reason I want to take an extra year:
Hong Kong local high schools consist of an extra year (equivalent to a "grade 13"), and thus the reduced 3 years in university.

However, I attended an international school, which, like American high schools, end at grade 12. So essentially, I took a year less of high school than my university peers, and I would like to take an extra year in university to make up for that, so I would be better prepared for grad school.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aw come on guys, 400+ views and nobody has any input at all?

A little disappointed. :frown:

Fizicks1 said:
Aw come on guys, 400+ views and nobody has any input at all?

A little disappointed. :frown:

In order to appease your worries:
I deferred my graduation by way more than 5 years...that's because where i live we had the option to enroll in a University(to obtain the student status) let's say today,be innactive for years and attend it full time let's say 5-10 years later or more!

That was valid before the legislation changed last year.The last 4 years i attended the school full time and i am about to graduate in few months time.My degree will be upper second class according to UK universities classifications.

i will apply next year for grad. study in top Europe universities.Then i will know and give you feedback :-)

Don't cry for 1 lost year...there is worse...schools only care if you have good grades,good reference letters,job experience and ca$$h to pay(Especially cash).
Imo,"show them the dough" and you are in.

1. Can deferring my graduation hurt my chances of getting into grad school?

It is possible that deferring your graduation could hurt your grad school application. Admissions committees may view it as a lack of commitment or motivation, as well as a potential delay in your academic progress. However, it ultimately depends on the reasons for the deferral and how you address them in your application.

2. What are some valid reasons for deferring graduation?

Some valid reasons for deferring graduation could include serious personal or family issues, unexpected health problems, or taking advantage of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It is important to communicate these reasons clearly and provide any necessary documentation to support your case.

3. Should I mention my deferral in my grad school application?

If the deferral is significant and relevant to your academic journey, it may be worth mentioning in your application. This could show resilience and determination in the face of challenges. However, if the deferral is not significant or does not add value to your application, it may be best to leave it out.

4. How can I address my deferral in my grad school application?

If you choose to mention your deferral in your application, be sure to provide a concise and honest explanation. Focus on the lessons you learned and how the experience has helped shape your academic goals. It is also important to highlight any positive outcomes or accomplishments during the deferral period.

5. Will deferring my graduation affect my financial aid or scholarship opportunities for grad school?

In most cases, deferring graduation should not have an impact on your financial aid or scholarship opportunities for grad school. However, it is always best to check with the specific institution or program to confirm their policies and procedures regarding deferrals.