Will I be allowed to skip Calculus II if I do this? I passed Calculus III

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 5K views
bignum
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
This is my situation, last week I took the AP Calculus BC exam, I feel like I did really poorly and even if they are going to curve it, I think I am going to end up with a 3 or 4.

Now in this summer, I going to take a Calculus III at a college who has granted me exemption from prerequisites. I am doing it right now and I am doing okay in the course. In fact, I think it is not very difficult to pass this course.

Now here is the problem, this fall when I enter university, I am going to be a freshman. If I get the passing grade from Calculus III at my summer studies, will I have to do Calculus II again at my new university?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You're going to have to ask your new university whether they will give credit or not.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
You're going to have to ask your new university whether they will give credit or not.

Does granting prerequisite for Calc II won't affect your GPA for grad school? Is that why you are suggesting there is a possibility of success?
 
No, I am suggesting that the rules at each university are different and you need to check them out. Suppose they say no - "but a bunch of guys on the internet said you'd give me credit!" is unlikely to be persuasive.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
No, I am suggesting that the rules at each university are different and you need to check them out. Suppose they say no - "but a bunch of guys on the internet said you'd give me credit!" is unlikely to be persuasive.

What do you think my chances of success are?...
 
Firstly, have you checked what grade you have to get on the exam to get credit for the course? My university gave credit for a 3 or above on calculus AP exam

bignum said:
What do you think my chances of success are?...

If you don't get the grade, I would think not very high. In my experiences, universities don't like to give away credit if you don't meet the requisite. But heck, what do I know? Your situation is a bit unique, contact the university if you need to after you get your grade. Good luck!
 
Some do, some don't.