Will Smith "Voted" Top Moneymaking Movie Star 2008: Does it Make Sense?

  • Thread starter Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Explain
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Messages
23,902
Reaction score
11,357
Can you explain to me...

How Will Smith was "voted" (?) the top moneymaking movie star in 2008 by theater owners? http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2009-01-02-smith-top-moneymaker_N.htm

He had two movies out, Hancock and Seven Pounds, which together grossed $267 million. But The Dark Knight grossed $530 (!) million, Iron Man $318 million, and Indiana Jones $317 million. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

I'm a big fan of Will Smith, but this is just weird.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


It could include DVD/TV sales?
Anyway according to Hollywood the other movies made a loss.
 


I believe he is one of the top, if not the top, box office draw in movies.

I mentioned in the Weekend Fix that Will Smith was without a doubt, the biggest box office star around (unlike Terrence Howard). For the last 12 years, Smith has not made a single bad move in his career choices. Since his breakout in 1995's Bad Boys, he has starred in huge movie after huge movie, including ten $100+ million successes. Here's an overview of his phenomenal career:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2009-01-02-smith-top-moneymaker_N.htm

If the requirement was for top box office sales for a single star in 2008, I agree. If it's just an opinion poll among theatre owners, and the award isn't restricted to only movies released in 2008, I could see it.
 
Last edited:


I suppose if you are voting on bankable stars that makes sense.
Batman/Ironman weren't successes because of the star, where as having Wil Smith in a movie guarnatees you make money
 


russ_watters said:
How Will Smith was "voted" (?) the top moneymaking movie star in 2008 by theater owners? http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2009-01-02-smith-top-moneymaker_N.htm

He had two movies out, Hancock and Seven Pounds, which together grossed $267 million.
Hancock wouldn't have grossed even 2-mil if it didn't have WS in it! That's the reason - he can get good money out of a lousy movie.
 
Last edited:


Probably because Will Smith is pure money in all aspects of life. By money i mean solid, and by solid i mean an all around great guy.
So either 1 of 2 things (or both, OR J) can explain that above statement:
1.) Will Smith is Christ
2.) Will Smith is the second coming of Christ
J.)The guy is a triple threat, wholesome rapper who represents south Philly and respects his elders, great actor, had a solid cube cut in fresh prince of bell air.
 


Yeah, I like Will Smith's movies except "Legend of Bagger Vance" and "Wild Wild West".