Will Taking a Job Outside My Field Affect My Graduate School Application?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Winzer
Messages
597
Reaction score
0
After a lot of searching and coming close to getting a job in the field I want,
I have accepted the fact that this is unlikely to happen. Truly disappointing.
I do have the opportunity to obtain a job outside my field. My concern
is graduate school. I want to work for about a year, then go back to Uni
for a MS in Material Science then go into the semiconductor industry. Will
taking a job outside my field have a negative effect on my application? Is
anyone else also taking a first job outside their field?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt that it would have any significant impact if it's only for a year. It's not uncommon for students to take a year off between finishing undergrad and graduate school. Some will volunteer or travel. Others will work for a while to save some money. Some just need a year to figure out what they really want to do.

And if you can't get a job in the field you want anyway, does it really matter?