1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How good is my graduate school application despite meh GRE scores.

1. Nov 4, 2014 #1
    I just took my GRE today and I must say I did very mediocre on it. I did not fail but did mediocre. If one looked at my score they would never guess I';m a physics major. I got 156 in both verbal and quantitative. On my physics GRE I'm probably going to get in the 70 to 80th percentile.
    My GPA is 3.7. This includes getting an A in a graduate dynamics class.
    I had an REU this summer which turned into my senior project. I'm getting one excellent in depth recommendation letters and 2 good recommendation letter.

I want to get into a physics PhD program with a stipend. How strong is my application and do you think I have a shot?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Nov 10, 2014 #3
    I think getting a good score on the PGRE should mean you won't need to worry about the general score.

5. Nov 11, 2014 #4
    Do you think using the world "meh" in my title is turning people off from replying?

6. Nov 11, 2014 #5
    From what you have said, it seems like a decent application. Research is probably the most important component of your application. From what I have read, the important thing about your test scores is that you didn't fail horribly. I was in the 59th percentile on my physics GRE and got into a few good schools. The classes you took are also important. A 3.7 GPA is pretty good (mine was lower) especially if you took a lot of high level math/physics classes.

7. Nov 23, 2014 #6
    I got my PGRE scores I got a 710 or 54 percentile. Do I need to take it again if I want a shot at an PhD program?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook