Will the Ender's Game Movie Live Up to the Book?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game Trailer
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Messages
20,002
Reaction score
11,120
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0cUBi4hwE Loved the book, but the trailer looks terrible. From what I can tell it will suffer a similar fate as the Hunger Games in the sense that the magic of the book was the interesting internal dialogue and complex moral issues (also in Dune). Internal dialogue and moral issues are rarely done well in movies. I'm bummed about this trailer so far.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm some of the visuals look very good, the zero-G arena for example, but overall I agree. It seems like the book (which I had mixed views on: very entertaining but a bit disturbing when you think about certain themes) will be turned from a complicated story to a glitzy action film. A big part of the story is the constant struggle Ender has in coming up with better tactics and outwitting his enemy. I'm not convinced a film can pull that struggle off so well rather than just showing fight scene after fight scene.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.
 
I had no idea a screenplay was even out for optioning. Didn't think Orson Scott Card would ever find a producer that shared his vision for Ender's Game. I hope they have enough good child actors to fill in Ender's battle school entourage.

I'm both excited and a bit sad to see this movie come out. Excited because I'm curious to see how the movie stacks up to the world I imagined when I read the book and sad because I know I won't get to know Ender as well as I did with the book.

I'm not exactly sure why, but I just can't accept Harrison Ford as Graff or Ben Kingsley as Mazer. I would have loved to see some relatively unknown actors fill those roles.