Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Will this setup work for backyard photometry?

1. May 15, 2016 #1
    I've been looking for a way to do photometry cheaply (variables and standards). I have no interest in eyepiece observations of the night sky or astrophotography.

I am currently considering purchasing this: http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes...graph-Telescope/pc/1/c/11/sc/345/p/113911.uts

to attach to my already purchased this: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...owershot-sx510-hs?selectedName=Specifications.

Of course the f-ratio is too slow and the camera garbage, but I was hoping someone with experience tinkering might be able to give me an idea of how this could perform for collecting raw images to get reduced/analyzed.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2016 #2
    Simple answer is yes but not ideal. Have a look at the aavso web site.
    Regards Andrew
  4. May 15, 2016 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That setup should work just fine. Differential photometry with nearly any camera and telescope is easily capable of getting centi to millimag accuracy with perhaps a few minutes of exposure time. I've done photometry accurate enough to detect the transit of Exoplanet TrES-3b across its star, where the 30 second to 2 minute sub-exposures have to have about 0.01 mag accuracy, using a CCD and an 8-inch scope, so you should do just fine with your equipment given that you can integrate many more exposures than I could.
  5. May 15, 2016 #4
    Great, that's exciting thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted