Win a Davidson Institute Fellowship: Unlock the Potential of Your Math Project

In summary: This fractal is hard to generate without doing calculus. You definitely need to focus on that if you want to present it.I don't think it's worth presenting if you can't prove it.The geometric ideas are probably better, as long as you can formally prove them.I agree. If you can prove your ideas, then they are definitely better.But I'm not sure if I can do that.That's why a proof is important! Otherwise, it's just a bunch of ideas.Yes, I definitely think a proof is necessary.
MevsEinstein
If you didn't know, there is something called the Davidson Institute Fellow Scholarship for middle and high school students. To get a scholarship (which come in 10,000 dollars, 25,000 dollars, and 50,000 dollars (if I remember correctly)), you will need to share a research project in the subjects provided: Technology, Engineering, Science, Philosophy, Music, Mathematics, Literature, and Outside the Box. For more information, see this link: https://www.davidsongifted.org/gifted-programs/fellows-scholarship/

Right now, I want to get the scholarship by showing one of my Mathematical discoveries. Here's what I have:

The Triangle constant (##2/(3^{1/4})##): If you multiply this number to the square root of the area of an equilateral triangle, you will get the measure of the triangle's side.

Kashi's transform: This takes in any "area of a triangle" formula and transforms it into another one that works for non-right triangles. I made a formula using Kashi's transform that contained the tangent function.

Tri-horn fractal: I messed up the generation of imaginary numbers to make this fractal: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/596884463/ . This can mean that I have made a new way to generate fractals by ruining real math.

Gaussian Integration: This is a hypothetical integration technique derived from Gauss's "some of consecutive positive integers" formula: ##n(n+1)/2##.

Since I'm supposed to have only one application, I will have to choose from one of the four. Which invention/discovery would be best to present?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that the deadline for 2022 has passed?

I haven't found any requirements of what exactly could be researched.

It is generally difficult in mathematics to find something new on a basic level. I'm therefore a bit skeptical about your fractals and integration project. Of course, you could take them and set them into the context of what is actually already known and how your ideas fit in there. But it could as well be the case, that your ideas simply do not work.

The geometric ideas are probably better, as long as you can formally prove them.

I wouldn't underestimate in general the amount of searching what is already known! Also, a view into the history of the field can be very helpful.

• Informative
Likes pbuk, MevsEinstein and berkeman
fresh_42 said:
Yeah I know I'm just planning to do it if I don't get accepted to CSU LA's early entrance program.

fresh_42 said:

I haven't found any requirements of what exactly could be researched.

It is generally difficult in mathematics to find something new on a basic level. I'm therefore a bit skeptical about your fractals and integration project. Of course, you could take them and set them into the context of what is actually already known and how your ideas fit in there. But it could as well be the case, that your ideas simply do not work.

The geometric ideas are probably better, as long as you can formally prove them.

I wouldn't underestimate in general the amount of searching what is already known! Also, a view into the history of the field can be very helpful.
Thanks for your suggestions!

MevsEinstein said:
Yeah I know I'm just planning to do it if I don't get accepted to CSU LA's early entrance program.
Just fyi. CSULA does not normally offer Analysis 2 (Integration) and Modern Algebra 2 (Ring Theory). It is taught every two years irc. Something to consider.

MidgetDwarf said:
CSULA does not normally offer Analysis 2 (Integration) and Modern Algebra 2 (Ring Theory).
The main reason why I wanted to join college early was to learn Integration and stuff like that. Very disappointing >:(

MevsEinstein said:
The main reason why I wanted to join college early was to learn Integration and stuff like that. Very disappointing >:(
A good start to get an overview is Wikipedia. I wouldn't learn it from there, but it is an appetizer. If you search "Calculus+pdf" or "Analysis 1 + pdf" then you will find lecture notes.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
MevsEinstein said:
The Triangle constant (##2/(3^{1/4})##): If you multiply this number to the square root of the area of an equilateral triangle, you will get the measure of the triangle's side.
That would be rather a short paper - it's one line of trig and 3 lines of algebra.

MevsEinstein said:
Kashi's transform: This takes in any "area of a triangle" formula and transforms it into another one that works for non-right triangles. I made a formula using Kashi's transform that contained the tangent function.
I don't really understand this, but if it works then can you say all there is to say about it in a couple of lines?

MevsEinstein said:
Gaussian Integration: This is a hypothetical integration technique derived from Gauss's "some of consecutive positive integers" formula: ##n(n+1)/2##.
Note that something normally called "Gaussian quadrature" already exists as an integration technique, but ## n(n+1)/2 ## reminds me more of the Trapezoidal rule. I don't see how you can tackle these without calculus.

MevsEinstein said:
Tri-horn fractal: I messed up the generation of imaginary numbers to make this fractal: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/596884463/ . This can mean that I have made a new way to generate fractals by ruining real math.
Phrases like "ruining real math" don't go down well in research papers, however if you are interested in fractals then this could be a suitable topic. Note however that approximately 0.01% of research papers in Mathematics involve a new "invention", that is not what research is about. Instead, research is almost always finding out about what is already known and expressing it in a new way.

Does the Davidson scholarship require that applicants are nominated by someone? I think you should discuss with a potential nominator what sort of topic would be suitable and what a successful application might look like.

Likes berkeman
MevsEinstein said:
You see integration in the calculus sequences for the first time. In analysis, you see the justification for it.

pbuk said:
I don't really understand this, but if it works then can you say all there is to say about it in a couple of lines?
This is how Kashi's transform looks like:
##Δ(f) = f(a^2+b^2-c^2)/2ab*\cos(C) = f*2ab*\cos(C)/(a^2+b^2-c^2)##
(where ##a, b## and ##c## are sides of the triangles and ##C## is the measure of the angle opposite to side ##c##)

Substituting ##ab*\sin (C) /2##, for ##f##, you get a new area of a triangle formula: ##\tan (C) * (a^2+b^2-c^2)/2##. You can also try substituting in a random function or fraction to make a new equivalent form. For example, if you substitute ##\sin (C)/c## for ##f##, you get ##\tan(C) * (a^2+b^2-c^2)/2abc##.

Last edited:
MevsEinstein said:
you get a new area of a triangle formula: ##\tan (C) * (a^2+b^2-c^2)/2##.
Oops I meant ##\tan (C) * (a^2+b^2-c^2)/4##.

1. What is the Davidson Institute Fellowship?

The Davidson Institute Fellowship is a prestigious award given to exceptional students who have completed a unique and innovative math project. It aims to support and encourage the development of these students' talents and potential in the field of mathematics.

2. How do I apply for the Davidson Institute Fellowship?

To apply for the Davidson Institute Fellowship, you must submit an application form, a detailed description of your math project, and any relevant supporting materials. The application process is highly competitive, and only a limited number of fellowships are awarded each year.

3. Who is eligible to apply for the Davidson Institute Fellowship?

The Davidson Institute Fellowship is open to students in the United States who are 18 years or younger and have completed a unique and innovative math project. The project can be in any field of mathematics, including but not limited to algebra, geometry, calculus, and statistics.

4. What are the benefits of receiving the Davidson Institute Fellowship?

Aside from the prestige and recognition that comes with receiving the Davidson Institute Fellowship, fellows also receive a monetary award of $50,000 for students under 18 and $100,000 for students over 18. They also have access to mentorship and networking opportunities with other fellows and professionals in the field of mathematics.

5. When is the deadline to apply for the Davidson Institute Fellowship?

The deadline to apply for the Davidson Institute Fellowship is usually in February each year. However, it is recommended to check the official website for the most up-to-date information as the deadline may vary from year to year.