Winter 2009/2010 Begins: A Snowy Surprise in Warsaw

  • Thread starter Thread starter Borek
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Mentor
Messages
29,213
Reaction score
4,643
I hereby proclaim winter 2009/2010 officially started. This was taken half an hour ago through my window:

winter_2009.jpg


I must admit I don't remember snow in mid October in Warsaw. There is an old Polish proverb saying that 'St. Martin comes on a white horse' - St. Martin's day is November 11th, as this is my name-day I am pretty aware of when it does come and whether there is snow or not. In the last 40 years snow had fallen earlier probably less than 5 times. But not in October.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It was cold here (east Flanders, Belgium) today too (around 4°C), but no snow. It is expected to go sub zero tonight. Being originally from South Africa, I'm not used to it going below zero very often and the first time I touched snow was when I was 23, in Germany. Winter and I have a love-hate relationship :)
 
Winter here too



The skier is caught by an avalanche and dug out ten minutes later. He survived.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
We got some snow here last night, but it didn't stick around.
 
Wow, wet snow is breaking electric lines; up to 700 thousand people can be without power at the moment. So far so good here, although we have seen short blackouts - but not on the phase (hopefully that's in English) computers are connected to.