1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working before applying to grad school

1. Jun 3, 2012 #1
    I am entering the final year of my undergraduate studies. From what I understand, it is fairly common for students to apply to grad school halfway through their final year.

However, I am thinking of working for a couple of years before applying to grad school. Would that hamper my chances of getting admitted into grad school?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2012 #2
    No not at all. It actually may be a smarter idea because you will have more time to research and visit the schools. In addition you will be able to add work to your resume. The only drawback is that you may lose some of the skills you've acquired in school.

4. Jun 3, 2012 #3
    I guess it depends on the job you do during those years. For example, if you are majoring in engineering, and then you work for a few years as an engineer. I believe you would have a huge advantage over those fresh-graduates.

5. Jun 4, 2012 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I worked for a year, and I think it helped: when I applied I had an extra semester's worth of grades and material for professors to write letters. I wouldn't want to go much longer than that. Your professors will begin to forget, and worse, you'll begin to forget.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook