World's most valuable postage stamp is for sale again

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, Stuart Weitzman, the shoe designer, has put up for auction at Sotheby's a unique British Guiana one-cent magenta postage stamp of 1856, as well as two other "blue chip" philatelic and numismatic items. The stamp's new owner (unknown when I posted) turned out to be Stuart Weitzman, and he is now selling his collection because his kids don't want to inherit it and don't want to have to deal with selling it.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Back in 2014, I posted about the sale of the unique British Guiana one-cent magenta postage stamp of 1856, which made it (again) the world's most valuable stamp at $9.5 million:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/postage-stamp-sells-for-9-5-million.758515/

The stamp's new owner (unknown when I posted) turned out to be Stuart Weitzman, the shoe designer. He has now decided to put it up for auction at Sotheby's on June 8, along with two other "blue chip" philatelic and numismatic items that he also owns:
  • the unique block of four with plate number, of the 24-cent US airmail stamp of 1918 with inverted center (the "Inverted Jenny plate block")
  • the unique 1933 US Double Eagle $20 gold coin
https://www.sothebys.com/en/digital-catalogues/three-treasures-collected-by-stuart-weitzman

https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamp...agenta-and-jenny-invert-plate-block-on-june-8

According to the New York Times, Weitzman, age 79, is selling his collection because his kids don't want to inherit it and don't want to have to deal with selling it.

I originally posted:
I’ve seen it [the British Guiana] on probably two occasions: the big international stamp shows in Philadelphia in 1976, and in Chicago in 1986. During the shows in San Francisco in 1997 and Washington DC in 2006, du Pont was in prison; maybe the new owner will show it in New York in 2016.

Weitzman did show the British Guiana and the Inverted Jenny at the New York show. Unfortunately I had to abandon my plans to go to New York because stuff happened at work. The next big international stamp show in the US will be in Boston in 2026. Hopefully the new owner(s) will display the goodies there. I'll be there unless Covid-19 or something else gets to me first.

Likes DennisN, OmCheeto and BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
Mnyah mnyah I think I remember when I collected stamps this world's most prized stamp was worth a mind-boggling £5,600, is that possible?
Just as mind-boggling, just as unaffordable.

Last edited:
While not a philatelist nor numismatist, I used to relax assembling themed jigsaw puzzles. My favorite puzzle contained a collage of "rare stamps of the World". The British Guiana one-cent magenta formed the centerpiece within an unusual hexagonal frame along with other unique and colorful stamps.

They should have recorded a video of them burning the stamp, and made an nft of it. That would have gone for at least 20 million dollars.

What is the world's most valuable postage stamp?

The world's most valuable postage stamp is the British Guiana 1c Magenta, also known as the "Holy Grail of Philately". It was issued in 1856 in British Guiana (now known as Guyana) and is the only surviving example of its type.

How much is the stamp expected to sell for?

The stamp is expected to sell for over $15 million USD. In 2014, it was sold for a record-breaking $9.5 million USD, making it the most expensive stamp in the world.

Why is this stamp so valuable?

This stamp is considered the "Holy Grail of Philately" because of its rarity and unique history. It is the only surviving example of its type, and its origins are shrouded in mystery and intrigue. It has also been owned by some of the world's most famous stamp collectors, adding to its appeal and value.

Who is selling the stamp?

The stamp is being sold by Sotheby's, one of the world's leading auction houses. They previously sold the stamp in 2014 and are now offering it for sale again.

Will the stamp be on display before the auction?

Yes, the stamp will be on display at various locations around the world before the auction takes place. This allows potential buyers and the public to view the stamp in person and appreciate its rarity and beauty.