A small postage stamp is placed in front of a concave mirror

In summary: Problem: A small postage stamp is placed in front of a concave mirror (radius=R), such that the image distance equals the object distance.In terms of R, what is the object distance (b) what is the magnification of the mirror (c) state whether the image is upright or inverted relative to the object.The object distance is equal to the image distance, so the magnification is 1.
atoreta88
Problem: A small postage stamp is placed in front of a concave mirror (radius=R), such that the image distance equals the object distance. (a) in terms of R, what is the object distance (b) what is the magnification of the mirror (c) state whether the image is upright or inverted relative to the object.

Any help would be appreciated! thank u!

Physics news on Phys.org
Please follow the rules of this forum and use the template when you seek help with homework. Show us the relevant equations and tell us what you tried and what you think about the problem. We just don't give answers away.

first of all what type of image are you talking about. is it real or virtual?
if it is a real image:
(a) do you know where the image lies if the object is at centre of curvature? aren't image and object at the same distance from the pole of mirror. if you exactly know what 'R' is, then you must be able to guess this one. i am not directly telling you the answer. just try it.
(b) magnification can be calculated in two ways: 1. -v/u and h of image/h of object. you simply know that image distance(v) = object distance(u). let both of them be x. now can you calculate the magnification?
(c) come on man. real images are always inverted. you know where image is formed when object is at C. it's so easy.

kuruman said:
Please follow the rules of this forum and use the template when you seek help with homework. Show us the relevant equations and tell us what you tried and what you think about the problem. We just don't give answers away.

I'm not asking for answers. I don't want straight up answers because that won't help me. The only reason I did not put down any relevant equations is because I have no idea where to even begin. Sorry if I broke the rules. So far no one has helped me with this problem and the only thing that anybody has told me is how stupid I am and how I'm not able to see the answer because apparently it's so "easy." I'm just going to my professor on this one. Thanks for nothing.

hey i have helped you out in my previous post atoreta88. if you still have problem then post it.

1. How does a concave mirror affect the image of a postage stamp?

A concave mirror will reflect light rays from the postage stamp, causing them to converge and form an inverted image. The size and orientation of the image will depend on the distance between the mirror and the stamp, as well as the focal length of the mirror.

2. Will the image formed by a concave mirror be magnified or reduced?

The image formed by a concave mirror can be either magnified or reduced, depending on the distance between the mirror and the object. If the object is placed beyond the focal point, the image will be reduced. If the object is placed between the focal point and the mirror, the image will be magnified.

3. What happens if the postage stamp is placed at the focal point of the concave mirror?

If the postage stamp is placed at the focal point of the concave mirror, the reflected light rays will become parallel, and no image will be formed. This is known as the "principal focus" of the mirror.

4. How does the curvature of the concave mirror affect the image of the postage stamp?

The curvature of the concave mirror, or its radius of curvature, determines the focal length of the mirror. A more curved mirror will have a shorter focal length, resulting in a larger and more magnified image of the postage stamp.

5. Can the image formed by a concave mirror be projected onto a screen?

Yes, the image formed by a concave mirror can be projected onto a screen if the screen is placed at the appropriate distance from the mirror. This is known as the "real image" and can be seen and captured on a screen or surface.