Would I have my own gravity if I were twice Earth's size?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Caesar_Rahil
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Earth Gravity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 4K views
Caesar_Rahil
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Suppose, I become twice as big as the earth. Then Can I have my own Gravity!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
yes. u do even now.
 
Last edited:
That's pretty damn big. You're going to have to eat a lot of ice cream. (That's what Vin Diesel *forgive the spelling of his name* did to gain poundage fora movie).
 
As Gurkha pointed out, you already have your own gravity. You exert just as much pull on the Earth as it exerts on you.

If you went into space, you might carefully put some little speck of something into orbit around you and could thereby have your own moon.
 
Gravity is only a theory.

Using the logic of Intelligent Design, how do you know it even exists?
 
Caesar_Rahil said:
Suppose, I become twice as big as the earth. Then Can I have my own Gravity!
Not by yourself. It takes two to gravitate towards each other.

How strong is your force of gravity? About this strong:

[tex]F=\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2}[/tex]
where F is the force of gravity, G is the universal gravitational constant, one of the m's is your mass, the other m is some other mass, and the r is the distance between the two of you.

Notice that being smaller in mass than the Earth might make your own force of gravity smaller, but it's always greater than zero. Notice, also, that being further away might make the force of gravity smaller, but the force of gravity will always be greater than zero.

Every star you see in the sky is pulling on you at least a little bit. You're affected by everything in the universe - even the things so far away you can't see them.

Likewise, you are pulling on every star and every planet that exists in the universe. Your presence in the universe affects every other single thing in the universe.

Or, as Emerson, Lake, and Palmer said, "It is perfectly clear... you were meant to be here ... from the beginning." (I like that song :smile: )
 
Skyhunter said:
Gravity is only a theory.

Using the logic of Intelligent Design, how do you know it even exists?
Tee hee. (At least, I presume you jest.)

Edit: just stumbled across http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4133&n=2 , probably the seed for Skyhunter's comment.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:
Not by yourself. It takes two to gravitate towards each other.
Whether or not there is any other object, he still has a gravitational force. If he has mass, he has gravity.
 
zoobyshoe said:
If you went into space, you might carefully put some little speck of something into orbit around you and could thereby have your own moon.

Challenge: What size object, at what distance, orbiting at what speed could be a moon for a 50kg person (assuming a spherical person)?
 
Would Caesar have gravity if he was the only mass in the universe? :biggrin:

assume a point Caesar here.
 
BobG said:
You're affected by everything in the universe - even the things so far away you can't see them.
Gravity is not non-local; it moves at the speed of light, so if something's light hasn't reached you yet, neither have the effects of its gravity.
 
DaveC426913 said:
Tee hee. (At least, I presume you jest.)

Edit: just stumbled across http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4133&n=2 , probably the seed for Skyhunter's comment.
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: No it wasn't but it is hilarious.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
Tee hee. (At least, I presume you jest.)

Edit: just stumbled across http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4133&n=2 , probably the seed for Skyhunter's comment.
:smile: That's priceless.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Caesar_Rahil said:
Suppose, I become twice as big as the earth. Then Can I have my own Gravity!


Only if you are good...