Would motion explain the missing 'dark matter'?

In summary, according to the general theory of relativity, kinetic energy contributes to gravitational mass and is equivalent to mass. This prediction is routinely confirmed by particle colliders. However, the concept of relativistic mass does not contribute to the gravitational field of a body. Therefore, it cannot explain the missing 'dark matter' in the universe. Additionally, it is known that dark matter is "cold," meaning it moves slowly and does not smear out large scale structures, disproving the idea that it could be "hot" and contribute to the formation of galaxies. It is important to be kind to newcomers and avoid being rude or dismissive of their questions. While kinetic energy does contribute to the total energy density of the universe, it is negligible for
oracle1965
From previous answers - according to the general theory of relativity, kinetic energy contributes to gravitational mass. A body in motion posseses kinetic energy plus mass. Energy and mass are equivalent under GR. Particle colliders routinely confirm this prediction. Crash two particles together at relativistic velocities and you create particles with more mass than the sum of the two crashed particles.

If we look at the motion of the objects in the universe, would this not explain the missing 'dark matter'? If not, perhaps it means the whole universe is moving quite fast...(we would never know) ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
oracle1965 said:
From previous answers - according to the general theory of relativity, kinetic energy contributes to gravitational mass. A body in motion posseses kinetic energy plus mass. Energy and mass are equivalent under GR. Particle colliders routinely confirm this prediction. Crash two particles together at relativistic velocities and you create particles with more mass than the sum of the two crashed particles.

If we look at the motion of the objects in the universe, would this not explain the missing 'dark matter'? If not, perhaps it means the whole universe is moving quite fast...(we would never know) ?

No. I do not wish to be rude, but the whole idea is just silly.

You say "perhaps it means the whole universe is moving quite fast." RELATIVE TO WHAT ?

You, personally, right now, as you read this sentence, are moving at 99.999% of c from some frame of reference. Does this make you any heavier?

Relativistic mass does not contribute to the gravitational field of a body. Otherwise, you could create a black hole merely by sufficiently accelerating an object. This kind of confusion is the reason physicists dislike the term relativistic mass.

First of all, the concept of relativistic mass doesn't contribute to gravity.

Second, one thing that we know about dark matter is that it's "cold" (i.e. it's not moving near the speed of light). One of the big questions in the late 1980's was whether dark matter was "cold" (i.e. moving very slowly) or "hot" (i.e. moving very quickly).

We know it's "cold" because "hot" matter would smear out large scale structures. We've seen large scale structures since the early-1990's, so we know that dark matter isn't "hot." The prevailing idea on how galaxies formed was that the superclusters formed first and then galaxies formed later. The "hot dark matter" scenario was that galaxies formed first and then grouped into clusters, and that idea is dead.

(Also, I find it generally a good idea to be nice to newbies. One thing that newbies with questions need to know is that after spending lots of times arguing with people that have very strong crankish ideas on how the universe works, so often people that ask a simple question get a ton of bricks dropped on them.)

twofish-quant said:
(Also, I find it generally a good idea to be nice to newbies. One thing that newbies with questions need to know is that after spending lots of times arguing with people that have very strong crankish ideas on how the universe works, so often people that ask a simple question get a ton of bricks dropped on them.)

Yeah, I often tend to get too snippy. Sorry about that, Oracle. This is a great forum, so don't let SOB's like me drive you off.

phinds said:
Yeah, I often tend to get too snippy. Sorry about that, Oracle. This is a great forum, so don't let SOB's like me drive you off.

Someone forget to walk you and throw you your nightly treat Phinds? :biggrin:
(Should I feel bad for poking fun at an old man??)

Drakkith said:
Someone forget to walk you and throw you your nightly treat Phinds? :biggrin:
It was the treat. They were completely out. Really pissed me off. Had to go to bed hungry.

(Should I feel bad for poking fun at an old man??)

Dog. That's an old DOG (junkyard variety). And yes, you should. :smile:

Last edited:
Well, kinetic energy does contribute to the total energy density of the universe - the kinetic energy of neutrinos is relevant, for example.
For ordinary (baryonic) matter, it is negligible. Typical relative velocities are something like 200km/s, this gives a factor of ~1.0000002.

1. What is "dark matter"?

Dark matter refers to a hypothetical type of matter that is believed to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe. It does not emit or absorb light, making it invisible to telescopes, and its existence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter.

2. How does motion play a role in explaining the missing "dark matter"?

Motion is one of the key factors in the search for dark matter. By studying the motion of galaxies and other celestial objects, scientists can infer the presence of dark matter based on its gravitational effects on visible matter. This is known as the "missing mass problem" and is one of the primary pieces of evidence for the existence of dark matter.

3. Can motion alone explain the missing "dark matter"?

No, motion alone cannot fully explain the missing "dark matter". While it is an important factor in understanding the presence of dark matter, there are other pieces of evidence that support its existence, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the large-scale structure of the universe.

4. How do scientists study the motion of galaxies to search for dark matter?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study the motion of galaxies, including measuring the velocities of stars and gas within galaxies, observing gravitational lensing effects, and analyzing the rotation curves of galaxies. These methods help to reveal the distribution of mass within galaxies and provide evidence for the presence of dark matter.

5. Is there a consensus among scientists about the role of motion in explaining the missing "dark matter"?

While there is still much debate and ongoing research about the nature of dark matter, the majority of scientists agree that motion is a crucial factor in understanding its existence. However, there is still much to be discovered and understood about dark matter, and new theories and evidence may continue to shape our understanding of its role in the universe.